Steering wheel clicking

Had the same steering wheel click issue with my 2014 Sierra K-1500 (tilt only steering column). I started noticing it about 13k miles and seems to be worse in warm temperatures. First time I took it in they replaced the column and said it was fixed. Don't even think they test drove it because pulling out of the parking lot it has the same issue. I took it back to them where they kept it for almost a month. Tried 3 different columns, told me they even brought in a GM engineer to look at it. They said it was fixed, I drove it home an noticed the same issue while turning into my garage. I thought at this point I would give them some time, maybe other dealerships would come up with something. I'm not sure if they actually know the root cause of the problem yet.

Had the same steering wheel click issue with my 2014 Sierra K-1500 (tilt only steering column). I started noticing it about 13k miles and seems to be worse in warm temperatures. First time I took it in they replaced the column and said it was fixed. Don't even think they test drove it because pulling out of the parking lot it has the same issue. I took it back to them where they kept it for almost a month. Tried 3 different columns, told me they even brought in a GM engineer to look at it. They said it was fixed, I drove it home an noticed the same issue while turning into my garage. I thought at this point I would give them some time, maybe other dealerships would come up with something. I'm not sure if they actually know the root cause of the problem yet.

Sounds exactly like what happened to me 6 times! At this point I would start your lemon case on bbb.org

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a '16 1500 with clicking in the sterring collumn. Dealer said the rack is bad but wont cover it under warranty. 16k miles.  Over 2k for the part and another 1k to install. Fml. Ill ptobably never buy GM again as the 16 camaro ss i traded for this truck was a POS also. 

• 7 months later...

2016 GMC Sierra.  The click was driving me crazy.  Only clicked when turning one direction so it was odd. To fix it:   Lay on driver side floor looking up to the steering column with truck running.  Use a flashlight.  Look between the steering wheel and steering column while turning the steering wheel in the direction where it clicks    You will hear the click and see a small plastic tab sticking out from steering wheel that is rubbing (clicking) against the steering column...some sort of tag that the vendor put on the back of the steering wheel.  I took a long thin set of needle nose pliers and tore it off.  Doesn't take much to get it out.  Steering click gone!

Edited by LJS2006GMC

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi i have a 2014 Silverado ..i have had so many problems with it and as some of you had to do i had to tell them the problem.. for some reason the dealership can never find anything wrong.. but anyway I have clicking in my steering since it was a year old..they replaced the steering column 3 or 4 times now over the last few years.. they now think it's the rack and pinion... but the noise is only there when it is hot or warm out...in the winter it doesn't make a sound.. does anyone have any ideas?

On 5/25/2020 at 10:59 AM, Krazynewf said:

Hi i have a 2014 Silverado ..i have had so many problems with it and as some of you had to do i had to tell them the problem.. for some reason the dealership can never find anything wrong.. but anyway I have clicking in my steering since it was a year old..they replaced the steering column 3 or 4 times now over the last few years.. they now think it's the rack and pinion... but the noise is only there when it is hot or warm out...in the winter it doesn't make a sound.. does anyone have any ideas?

Mine was clicking as well. They had to tighten up some bolts on the control arms and cross member. The service advisor told me that there was a TSB. Here's a photo of what they did.

20200111_204220.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2016 at 12:56 AM, ridethedesert said:

I just had this happen to me last week. 2014 Sierra with 32,000 miles. I didn't even notice it until backing up my trailer and turning the wheels slowly with the air and radio off. It was louder when the steering wheel was center and I would turn it to the left and then to the right. I could hear click click click. Almost felt like it was in the suspension. However at that point I never felt it while driving. Then I was driving the next day and was getting a binding/resistance feeling when turning left but not when turning right. Almost similar to how it feels in 4 wheel high but less powerful. Then I was going through a canyon and turning it hard left and I got the binding sensation and then it just let go. It let go enough to make my stomach drop like, oh crap, please don't be a broken tie rod or something. Now the steering feels completely loose on left turns but not on right turns. I had to seriously turn the wheel to get the truck to turn left.

I drove it straight to the dealer today and they called me this evening and said they are confidant it's something inside the steering column and have ordered the part. I didn't have time to get more involved into what part it was but I'll find out on Thursday when I get the truck back and let you know if it's fixed.

At first I thought maybe it was because the truck was leveled and many people on the forum were talking about ball joint and other issues. But the dealer I went to said that's not the case, it's in the steering column and not the suspension. We shall see.

I've found others who had steering and ball joint issues.