13 2500hd w/fgawr of 4400, help!

I bought a 13 2500hd to plow with and when I started calling dealers about plow install I found out I only have the 4400 axle rating. Boss dealer told me they would put the 8ft super duty on it even though it's not recommended and said it would void my warranty if I did. Western said they would only put the mid weight 7.6 on it.

I have been told that using a 7.6 is not wide enough for my truck and I will be running over the snow I just plowed with any angle on the plow. Also heard that the mid weight plow will get the crap kicked out of it from a 3/4 ton.

Anyone dealt with these issues before and have any suggestions or options for me?! Thanks.

Also does anyone know what the actually difference in front end parts there is that makes the difference between the 4400 and 4800 ratings?

So...2011+ up trucks with plow prep, the front GAWR starts at 5200lbs, and goes up to 6000lbs. Gas and diesel trucks are 5200-5600 GAWR for 2500hd, depending on cab. 3500hd gas are 5600lbs for all cabs, and all diesel are 6000lbs. The only difference is the torsion bars, and shock tuning (different part number shocks for VYU trucks). Every other component is the same otherwise (jounce bumpers, steering, axle, ball joints, control arms, torsion bar mount, torsion bar keys, etc.).

Skip right over the 4800lbs front as well as that is a non plow prep torsion bar also.

What engine does it have and what cab configuration is it?

Also, remember that the GAWR published on your door jamb is still, per that sticker, 4400lbs. Changing the bars will "raise that number" but legally it does not.

It is an extended cab 6.0 gas. Thanks for the info. Just making sure I understand you correctly, if I changed out the torsion bars to the ones rated higher it would function the same as the trucks with the higher rating... Don't care about the legality part because it is out of warranty anyway. Just want to protect my truck and change out any parts that come on the higher rated front axle rating to my truck

It is an extended cab 6.0 gas. Thanks for the info. Just making sure I understand you correctly, if I changed out the torsion bars to the ones rated higher it would function the same as the trucks with the higher rating... Don't care about the legality part because it is out of warranty anyway. Just want to protect my truck and change out any parts that come on the higher rated front axle rating to my truck

Yes. functionality wise it will up the front axle rating.

If you are looking to go to the 5200lbs bars, you need 20883360 (Left) and 20883361 (Right). 5600lbs bars are 20883362 (Left) and 20883363 (Right). If you are worried about the shocks as well, 20908412 for 4x4, and 20908414 for Z71 4x4.

You could try online sources like GMPartsDirect, but they might hose you hard on shipping being the size of the items. Might want to try your local GM dealer and see if they can maybe work with you on price a bit and you will save on shipping costs.

Archived