help in choosing first shotgun

You are asking for a lot out of one gun. I'd go with one of the above mentioned cheaper shotguns. Figure out what you like and don't like about it and use that knowledge to purchase the best semi auto you can afford.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The Remington 870 can and should be unloaded without chambering also, it's the correct way to unload the magazine tube. Unfortunately, most people don't take the time to, or care to learn how to properly handle the shotgun and start racking rounds through the chamber......Not a good idea.

The only time my 870 will get unloaded is if someone unwanted enters my home. I purchased it as my go to home defense weapon. I pushed the same release that allows shells to come back out of my Ithaca, and the shells didn't pop out of the 870. I didn't really care as it's going to remain loaded in the tube

Any suggestions for first rifle? Have shot numerous times before but never bought one of my own. Will be used for mainly target shooting/clay pigeons and possible deer hunting. I dont want to spend a fortune but want a good gun with somewhat cheap ammo.

For a first rifle, buy a bolt action Remington 700 on the used market in .308 Win., preferably from the 70s or earlier. Plenty of ammo around in a variety of quality.

If you want to shoot clays, you'll need a shotgun.

What's "a fortune" to you?

Cheap ammo would mean you need a 12 ga or alternatively a 20 ga shotgun.

The best configuration for shooting sporting clays or other clay games is an over/under. A "good gun" in an over/under will begin in the $3000 area and go up to the price of a house. They are better for very specific reasons of balance, fit, sighting, and swing dynamics. Most of all, they are more reliable than any auto or pump action. But each make or model can be greatly different.

As a second choice to the o/u shotgun, a semi-auto of decent quality and adjustability of the stock would be a good start. The Beretta gas guns from the past couple decades up to today's latest model would serve you well on the clay range. There are aftermarket weights that can be added to the magazine cap to provide the forward weight necessary for a steady swing. Lots of parts and mods for the Berettas. Beretta dominate the clay game autos. They're used over all others for a reason, they work reliably when many of the others clog with powder, jam or break a little clip. There are other good makes, the Benelli higher end comes to mind. But they are less common if you want to buy used.

A pump would be at the bottom of my recommendations, regardless of quality or price. You'll spend more time trying to learn to pump in double or triple presentations of clays, which will distract you from learning to properly shoot.

I recommend you take a few lessons at a range with a pro, using a variety of rental guns before you buy.

The most important aspect (and most overlooked aspect) of any shotgun you choose for clay games or hunting flying birds, is gun fit. Most shooters and gun store clerks don't know what the details are for a proper fit nor why it matters. Fit matters because alignment of a shotgun to a target relies on your primary dominant eye being placed consistently in exactly the correct height and lateral position each and every time you mount the gun naturally. Your eye is the rear sight in a shotgun sighting system. Imagine if the rear sight of a rifle were in a different place for every shot! That wouldn't work very well. The stock dimensions for length of pull, drop, cast and pitch control where your eye ends up and whether you can mount the gun properly and consistently. The Beretta guns of late have a novel angled shim system to easily adjust drop and cast. Length of pull will require shortening the stock or adding shims to the butt. All this is to help you consistently put a 30" diameter pattern of shot on a 4" disk, traveling 60 mph at an angle the course setter has done his best to confuse you visually.

Find a knowledgeable instructor in the clay games. He should know gun fit and will teach you things that will make you learn to be more successful in less time and give you knowledge and skills that will pay dividends over your entire life of shotgun shooting, whether for clays or hunting.

I don't think the OP (who never came back) is thinking about competitive shooting, so I still think a pump is the most economical choice for clays and possible deer hunting. I've done a sporting clays course a couple times with my pump and a couple times with an over/under, and shot about the same with both guns. An 870 was my first gun, so it's just instinctive for me to pump it as soon as shot is fired. A semi-auto isn't a bad choice either and will certainly help with recoil when shooting slugs, but you'll pay almost double what a good pump costs.

Archived