Spring Rates

Grumpy Bear

Question

6 answers to this question

You could check and see if the tape with the part code and number is still on the springs. If so then take that info to the dealer and have them look it up. Each spring can have a different code and a different rating. It depends on what options the truck has. The springs could have the same trim height but different load ratings.

45 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

No catalog for such?  I used to be able to look this stuff up.

Use to be in your operating manual if you go back far enough. Dealer couldn't tell me either. FYI. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Use to be in your operating manual if you go back far enough. Dealer couldn't tell me either. FYI. 

Yeah, I used to have Dayton and Monroe catalogs to look up springs for cars and trucks but not anymore it seems.  Hadn't looked in years until someone asked about spring specs on another forum and I can usually find something but thus far have found nothing.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Yeah, I used to have Dayton and Monroe catalogs to look up springs for cars and trucks but not anymore it seems.  Hadn't looked in years until someone asked about spring specs on another forum and I can usually find something but thus far have found nothing.  

For what it's worth I read somewhere recently that the King OEM is fitted with a spring 15% stiffer than OEM. I expect that means the ones fitted to the heaviest 1500 in the fleet. That would make the factory spring about 650-ish?? Even that is a WAG. Factory spring is a beehive and progressive. King's are straight rate. It took the 750 pound springs off Pepper and refitted with 600 pound units and I'm still an inch high of mid stroke. 500 would have been perfect for my feather weight. 

• Like 1