2015 suburban weight limit

My question is a little difficult, I have a 2015 Chevy suburban LT the manufacturer says the maximum allowed towing capacity is 6300 pounds. I am looking to get a travel trailer however it exceeds that limit by 1200 pounds I have every intention of changing the bump stop to increase the payload Is there anything else that somebody would recommend doing to make sure that it is safe for me to tell this trailer both on flat ground as well as uphill obviously my family comes first and I want to be safe

Changing the bump stops does NOT increase payload, just help control/support the ride with payload/trailer. Your limitation is gearing. A Suburban with 3.42 gears either via the Z71 package or Max Trailer Package is what you would need, as those are rated for 8300lbs in 2wd and 8000lbs 4x4.

You need more gearing/more truck. A Suburban with Max Trailer Package would do the job. Or a Silverado 1500 crew cab with either the 5.3 (3.42 or 3.73 gears max trailer) or 6.2 (3.23 or 3.42 gears with max trailer).

Re-gearing your truck would be an option as well. That would put you in the $1000-$1500 range for that I would say.

Hi Brad, you haven't mentioned but I am assuming your Suburban is equipped with the 3.08 rear end? If it had the 3.42 you would be good to 8,000lbs with the 4X4 model which would solve the issue entirely!

Assuming it is the 3.08 the good news is GM really didn't change any mechanical parts except the axle ratio to give the Suburban the 8k tow rating (your 3.08 would have the same payload rating as the 3.42 ) so it would stand to reason that your Suburban can safely manage 8k down the road i.e the frame, suspension and brakes. That being said with the lower axle ratio you would be putting a bit more stress on the other driveline components but if you are not towing that trailer on a regular basis and only a handful of times a year that shouldn't be a problem.

Safety wise biggest things I would suggest:

1) Be sure you Suburban is equipped with a trailer brake controller and ensure the gain is set correctly

2) You would require a weight distributing hitch as the Suburban is only good to 5k weight carrying vs 7k with the Silverado's

With both of the above mentioned items your Suburban should tow 7,500lbs down the road very safely

Archived