In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

GrumpyGhost

GrumpyGhost Rusty 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 Ongoing build!

First coat of everglass is on the truck!

Spent yesterday moving the truck bed out of the shop and fixing more welds and grinding them all down. But I'm officially done with metal work!!!

I will be priming the truck this evening, it's gunna be a long day but well worth it. I need my truck back! Lots of Bondo work left to do before I "drive" the truck to the "paint booth."

I'm so ecstatic to be doing body work! Bondo work is easy compared to metal work!

I'm not looking forward to masking the whole truck. Probably take me a couple hours just to mask it.

Friday is the day for color paint!

Will update later this evening!0ff2842ca415119e02204c56e6860d15.jpg408bf894a7ace3f29ff3df575eb06692.jpgda61d487819fc2661128319afb0cfe39.jpg0d768530c811338a350966bdc1f7058d.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Welp, the body work is done. I haven't been taking pictures. Been kinda hectic lately.

It ended up storming pretty bad so I couldn't prime the truck.

Went to prime it this evening and realized I don't have the correct hardner for the primer. So tomorrow I'm going to pull an all nighter and do it all at once. Got plans in the morning so I have to do it in the evening tomorrow.

I did find one picture of my "hack n pack Bondo" job of the driver side panel. It's all actually pretty thin besides a few spots. So it looks worse than it is.

It'll buff out!!01493434dda0a611fc69714756e52eb7.jpg

Only see one spot that I need to sand. I am honestly shocked it's not on the driver side with all the Bondo. Guess I skimped on the passenger cab corner cause well, it was supposed to be easier!

I'm considering just fixing it with 600 grit sandpaper I use to sand the primer and not spray another coat of primer. It's barely noticeable, I could just let it go.

I'm ready to have my truck back!17e885de4426ce4af53eee765f69c8a0.jpg67f0a77801bc00dfd205673d76f64086.jpg447435d19bc9324d7a2091cc81e5e0d4.jpgced5d8d774ee6ff40932d6c08b94e12b.jpg

Got a run on passenger side, set me back about 3 hours! Anyhow the driver side you can see where I didn't quite get the body filler completely flat.

It won't be perfect by any means but at this point it's too late now! It is what it is!

Still laying down paint on passenger cab corner, probably another hour before I start clearing.790f218737beee4fd825ab119f3e92bf.jpg34e30c4090a51d8fd4978a9515ccfa71.jpg

Welp I got the run out, but it came at the cost of having the paint come out darker. Oh well I'm not a professional!

There is a slight line but you can't see it here. Starting clear coats in 30 mins.

You live and learn from mistakes! Yolo!a6d98b6be1897e50b82f2fbfdd15c788.jpg

One more coat of clear and she's donzo!!73b26d06116d3e0963f651e46869d0d0.jpg1785832786197922349300b81256e4d4.jpg

Welp, you can definitely see the color difference lol.

Oh well, my goal was mainly to get rid of the rust. I can live with mismatched paint that is almost as old as I am. (I got a few years on the paint)

Now I need to save some money for those 18 inch rims and 33 inch nittos51efd2b267b35ed18463f4583f362af5.jpgeb6732f2d99a0cb7d9471722528abe15.jpge05959edeb3871bb8b1f7dd6ac3af82f.jpg

Been in mad dash mode. Reassembling and not taking many pics. The interior is covered in Bondo dust. I still have to seam seal the welds underneath the truck where I welded the inner rockers on.

I finally got the brakes bled. All by myself too!!

Haven't put on the front wheel wells yet. I gotta sandblast the trim sill mounts that are rotted.

Gotta peel all the outside trim gunk off the doors.

I went for a test drive and found that I have a vibration above 45 mph. The outside of my front wheels are hitting because the camber of the tires is off. Also doesn't help that I have all terrain tires.

Truck has an appointment for alignment on Friday morning.

Also figured out why my interior lights never shut off and I have to use the manual override button. But a that's something to fix in the future. Gotta fix my drl's (daytime running lights) as well.

I won't post as often and I have been, but I still have quite a lot I'm going to do to ole Grumpy!

Will update tomorrow with better photos!739bb8f9f8e6cbad9de5a612fc661cea.jpg

Truck is aligned, I have a vibration between 55 mph and 65 mph. I guess it doesn't go away above 65 but it is not as noticable.

I need to replace my idler arm bracket. It had some play and I had to talk them into aligning my truck. It was technically within spec but they still didn't want to align the truck. I had them toe in the front tires in by 0.01 degrees to offset the play.

I do not think that is the cause of the vibration however, I think it is my lift blocks on the leaf springs. I'm going to put truck on lift tomorrow and see if I put the lift blocks on wrong, it says in the rough country directions that the lift blocks are tapered.

They didn't seem tapered to me when u installed but I did not measure them nor did I read the directions. I have heard that the taper lift blocks can cause a vibration, but I've only heard of this on bigger lifts than a leveling kit. They are tapered to offset the angle of the driveshaft. Who knows, lots to check tomorrow.

I parked my truck next to my father's 2015 Chevy Silverado and I am about 1/4 taller than his stock height.

Another culprit for the vibration could be the ball joints are worn out even though they seemed okay. But it was hard to tell for sure since the idler arm bracket was loose.

I also had to replace my driver side wheel hub about 3 years ago and I didn't do the passenger side. So it could also be the passenger hub having play.

Basically I'm going to drive it anyway because it's not that bad of a vibration.

Im going to save up money to replace all of these parts anyhow and just need to get by for about 6 months. I do not think the vibration will affect the wear of the tires, but it will wear out the front end components faster. I may need to invest in a steering stabilizer as well.

I bought some exhaust wrap to fix a couple holes in my "street legal" exhaust that will be replaced when I save up money for it as well. Lol

Anyhow, I'm going to buff the rest of the truck tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to it! Probably won't touch the hood.

Be awhile since I said this, but as always, sorry for the essay!ca3e8a001f70864340d1fb76fd4a4e01.jpg5cb6d62eed190eab742ad5236115c0a8.jpg74efb1127f2936de36c1628911d3407f.jpg02f04a615229417835e11f86c1091294.jpg

Checked the rear lift blocks. They are tapered and in the correct position. One side is 2 3/4 inch, other is 3 1/4 inch. I'm not gunna worry about for now, it's not that bothersome for the time being.

While truck was on lift I went ahead and seam sealed behind the inner rockers where they/I welded them to the truck. I then covered them with some spray can primer. Hopefully this will keep the rott out a bit longer.

I also wrapped a few spots on my exhaust where it was leaking.

Photo is me and my father's truck next to each other. I think he may have a thing for green trucks lol.75f12e6a48b3e07b7e4173fda833ed19.jpg

So I up and moved from northern Indiana to South of Tampa Bay Flordia!

Like I literally just put the truck back together less than a week ago. I didn't even use half a tank of gas before I went and rented a uhaul trailer and packed up for my move.

My family keep asking me if they thought my truck would make it over the 1000 mile trip without having a mishap. I just said it'll be fine Even though I had a small gut feeling that it was really a 60/40 chance nothing would go wrong.

That being said let me tell you how much weight I put in the truck, or as close as I can estimate.

Motorcycle: 700 pounds more or less

Empty 5x8 uhaul trailer: 900 pounds

Loaded trailer: 1600 pounds

My weight: 220 pounds

Stuff in truck cab and bed: 400 pounds

Estimated weight 3,120 pounds give or take!

Supposedly my little 255hp truck can pull 9,000 pounds. I would never torture a little old gas truck with that much weight! For a diesel truck 1 and half tons ain't nothin to shake a stick at, but my old truck has had a easy life more or less.

My little 4.8l and 4l60e tranny didn't like it! I've never towed anything this heavy for that long of a distance in this truck. Like I've pulled fiberglass boats and car trailers! With this truck, but have never needed to push the tow haul button. Also Indiana is relatively flat!!

I haven't even driven the truck long enough to know if there are any kinks to work out after building it like I did. But by golly OL' Grumpy motored through the 16 hours drive like a champ! I couldn't use cruise control very much and I never shut off the tow/haul button. I cruised between 65 and 75 the whole way. This trip couldn't have made me happier in terms of investing money into fixing Grumpy!

That being said the truck does still have 188,000 miles on it and I probably cut my tranny and rear diff life in half from this trip. I wish I had a trans temp guage. On interstate 24 towards the border between Tennessee and Georgia I think its called beaver hill. I could hear my tranny screaming bloody murder at me for the 4 mile hill climb!

I did have one mishap, a semi truck had a tire tread rip apart in front of me and I had no time to dodge it. It luckily landed in between my front tires bounced up and broke my rusty exhaust I patched up that I put off cause I was moving. It broke the exhaust right where I used to have a muffler, so I grabbed some gloves and pulled what was left of my exhaust off the hangar and put it in my bed. The exhaust now ends between the end of the cab and the beginning of the truck bed. It was a loud last 5 hour drive. I kind of like it though haha, I might just put a down pipe on it for now until I have time to buy a new exhaust. It won't hurt anything for now! Gunna be swamped for a bit with the move and all.

I also adjusted my headlights because of the 2 inch lift, well I think the weight in the bed pointed them back up more because I could see just fine, but the other cars may have got a little pissed at me from all the flashes I got on the interstate!

The first pic I have already unloaded the trailer, my truck bed was squatting pretty good before unloading but the trailer still pulled really well.

Anyhow sorry for the short story but I just wanted to say my peace about how well and impressed I am that my old truck made a drive most people wouldn't!411ba9f395154213eb61196345091881.jpgd5cb3777d35116ef1e9b767582a5b3ec.jpg

• Like 1

Good work on the truck. I enjoy seeing these older models returned to useful service.

(I assume you didn’t just make the jump to Florida blindfolded and that you had a place to stay and job waiting for you.)

Good work on the truck. I enjoy seeing these older models returned to useful service.

(I assume you didn’t just make the jump to Florida blindfolded and that you had a place to stay and job waiting for you.)

Of course haha. Just sucks now cause I don't have access to as many amenities/tools as before to do all my own work on my truck! Now I either have to invest in the tools or try and develope a new network of friends that can help a guy out haha! I still have more than most, and a shop to work in, but its still a different ballgame when it comes to doing stuff.

For instance, my exhaust fell off, so now I'm debating if I'll just go to a muffler shop or buy a kit online and doit myself, I don't have access to a lift anymore! So it will be a bit harder to install than before

I'll post photos another time, but I took my truck to a muffler shop and had them install a stock like exhaust with a quiet muffler. It is a single aluminized 3" from the cat back exiting behind the rear tire. So it looks completely stock again. Cost me $192 with tax. I call that a steal! It will take some getting used too to have a quiet truck again.

The reason I went back to stock is because I will be towing a tandem axel enclosed trailer occasionally and I wanted my low end torque back.

Anyhow, my next investment will be front end suspension parts like new lower control arms and ball joints from Moog. I'll also replace the inner and outer tie rods, idler arm and idler arm bracket, the other wheel hub, pitman arm, and sway bars links. Probably about $800-$1000 dollars worth of parts.

The vibration is not a big deal, but it is starting to annoy me!

Gotta get the suspension right before I invest in offset rims and meaty tires!

I'm looking at getting some 18" fuels paired with nittos.

I still haven't removed the gunk off of the door were the old trim was, but I'll get to it eventually lol

As always, sorry for the essay!