GM Borla Making Strange Noise

I don't hear anything, if your using a phone mic... its not going to pic up sound very well. put the stock exhaust on, you need to do your due diligence and remove/eliminate variables.

Yeah it's a faint noise at idle, louder when driving. I have to turn the volume up all the way on my phone to hear it, but it's audible.

I sent the clip to borla and they were going to listen to it and see if they thought something might have come loose inside the muffler. It sounds like the muffler is a perforated pipe surrounded by a ceramic? tube, so it is possible something got knocked loose inside after a few weeks of driving.

They have a great customer service department.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is the truck a 2017? I've heard that the range isn't always effective on a 17... they work intermittently, so you may well have the V4 mode going on without realizing it. Just a thought anyways

Is the truck a 2017? I've heard that the range isn't always effective on a 17... they work intermittently, so you may well have the V4 mode going on without realizing it. Just a thought anyways

Nope. Mine is a 16. Trust me you can tell when it's in v4.

So I got a better video and had my wife rev it to about 1200 rpm. (Had to explain what rpm was...). Its a metallic echoing noise about the 30 second mark when I hold my phone near the rear of the muffler. Sounds much more pronounced with headphones on than my phone speaker.

What do you guys think? Normal or no?

My GM Borla Exhaust was making a sound also like it was rattling or something. I found that the straight pipe after the flex section at the front was hanging low and hitting the cross member. This was causing a rattling type or bagging sound. Went to a Midas and for $50 bucks the welded on a rod with a built in rubber mount and bolted it a hole near that cross member and the add a couple of tack welds. I haven't heard any strange noise's from the exhaust since then.

If people want a pic send me a PM, I don't come on the forums to much.

• 3 weeks later...

An update. I sent my video to Borla and they agreed that mine didn't sound right so they sent me a new muffler. I would buy again from Borla just because of how awesome their customer service department was.[emoji106]

So I put the new one on today. Much harder than I thought to get all the pipes apart after being on a month. I had to take the whole system off to replace the muffler.

When I put it back together i figured out how to get the front pipe not to touch without bending the hanger. You need to push up on the flex joint up hard to change the connection angle, then tighten the front flange before you tighten anything else. Now I can fit my whole hand between the front pipe and frame.

So the moment of truth, drive it around the block and the new muffler is definitely a touch quieter (needs to break in?). The noise I heard before is a little quieter too but I can still hear it a little.

So I went from stock to MBRP to Flowmaster to Stock To Borla to another Borla. Think I'm done with exhaust for a while......

Been missing all the muffler threads! :rolleyes:

Yea some things I have done myself I now hire done. Cement work - roofing - garage doors etc.

But muffler work I have always had done - even just the Banks muffler delete tailpipe on the Duramax I bought, then had installed.

Still loving the Flowmaster on my 6.2L.................

post-168136-0-31810100-1496764916_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...