Aftermarket brake controller ??

Thinking about getting a 17 or 18 Sierra and the packages i'm looking at have the factory installed brake controller in them. I've not heard many good things about the factory controllers so I was wondering if I could unhook the factory controller and hook up the P3 (which I Love) that's in my 2011??

I used to own a P3. My integrated controller works just fine. The P3 does an excellent job, but it's entirely intertia-based in terms of braking power and such. The integrated controller has the ability to directly communicate with the various sensors and controls of the truck and is more closely aligned with actual brake pedal pressure and such. I have zero complaints about using it.

I have an aftermarket brake controller I love, that ties into the truck network via ODB2 connection. DirecLink is the name I believe. I upgraded from a P3 to this, and have been pretty happy with it. Wish I would've had integrated instead, but I believe this comes as close as you can get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I purchased the Curt from the dealer/service department. Plug and play. Works very well for me.

I am having the Curt tri flex installed tomorrow. Did you locate it on the right or left of the steering wheel?

I am having the Curt tri flex installed tomorrow. Did you locate it on the right or left of the steering wheel?

I actually mounted mine directly under the steering wheel. There's a bolt and bracket where the lower cover mounts. I just took that bolt out and slid the bracket for the controller between it and the cover and put the bolt back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually mounted mine directly under the steering wheel. There's a bolt and bracket where the lower cover mounts. I just took that bolt out and slid the bracket for the controller between it and the cover and put the bolt back in.

Thanks. The advantage to your suggestion is that no holes need to be drilled. How is it for accessibility? I am only concerned about drilling holes if it is placed in an awkward location and has to be moved. You would think that it would be lucrative for a company to produce a controller to fit in the space intended for a brake controller. My next vehicle will have this feature built-in!

Thanks. The advantage to your suggestion is that no holes need to be drilled. How is it for accessibility? I am only concerned about drilling holes if it is placed in an awkward location and has to be moved. You would think that it would be lucrative for a company to produce a controller to fit in the space intended for a brake controller. My next vehicle will have this feature built-in!

It's just a matter of reaching down and adjusting. It's about shin level for me so it isn't too bad to lean forward and reach down. Next Chevy I get will have brake controller already installed for sure.

I phoned Curt and they told me to reset the unit by unplugging for 30 seconds. Issue resolved!

Mine did that the first time as well, reset it and problem fixed!

Archived