Carry-All enclosed trailer

Donstar

Our Lowe's sells Carry-All brand trailers. I am particularly interested in their 6' X 12" V nosed enclosed trailer. I have owned a couple of Interstate brand trailers in the past but had some poor quality and support issues with my last purchase. The trailer would be for light use such as hauling my motorcycle and other bulky items to warmer places this winter. Any "red-flags" ?

No experience with this brand. Brother in law had 2 new Haul Mark enclosed trailers, both had issues. From wiring to structural, nothing major. Another friend had a new enclosed trailer but I can't remember the brand. Used it to move to another state and other short hauls of furniture. After about 10k miles the rear doors wouldn't close properly. I believe it depends on if you get a good one off the assembly line, just like a vehicle.

I have more experience with boat trailers and believe it depends on assembly line luck, again. :happysad:

They're "ok". This is the same company that makes trailers for Tractor Supply. Lots of the open trailers on the road, and they hold up ok over time. I do see the enclosed ones out there, but not a lot. Have no idea how they hold up over time. Be prepared to rewire them as that is a common weak point. The lights are usually whatever commodity item they can get and don't always appear to have been part of the "design". You may also want to consider rewiring it immediately then taking it to some place that does truck bed spray-in liners and having them spray the underside to protect the axle from rusting.

Factor in how far / often you're going to drag it and compare the costs of towing it against spending more money on something lighter that you'll get better fuel economy with.

Factor in how far / often you're going to drag it and compare the costs of towing it against spending more money on something lighter that you'll get better fuel economy with.

Good advice and I think this trailer may be too much of a compromise between a need and a want. I actually want a double axle enclosed trailer with brakes but do fine with my 4' X 6' open utility trailer! The V nose strikes me as being potentially easier on fuel to drag than the flat faced version.

Good advice and I think this trailer may be too much of a compromise between a need and a want. I actually want a double axle enclosed trailer with brakes but do fine with my 4' X 6' open utility trailer! The V nose strikes me as being potentially easier on fuel to drag than the flat faced version.

If it's the "shallow" V-Nose (meaning it only protrudes about 12" in front of the sides), I can't imagine that will really make any significant change in the amount of drag is creates.

You can always put small things in a big trailer, but it's impossible to put big things in a small trailer. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2017-08-11 at 5:41 PM, ember1205 said:

If it's the "shallow" V-Nose (meaning it only protrudes about 12" in front of the sides), I can't imagine that will really make any significant change in the amount of drag is creates.

You can always put small things in a big trailer, but it's impossible to put big things in a small trailer. :)

Completely agree with the last sentence!  A good rule of thumb, if you have the space to store it, is take the size you have in mind and add 4’. I was looking for a 7x12 tandem axle enclosed trailer to use mostly for our move up north, and for work once the move is done, but I came across a decent deal on a 7x16. Im glad I pulled the trigger on the bigger trailer, not much heavier when empty and the extra room has been a huge help. 

Regarding a v-nose and fuel economy, the biggest *drag* on fuel economy while towing is the big flat spot at the back of the trailer causing turbulence and drag. That’s why some trucking companies have those folding flaps on the back of their trailers. I’m sure the v-nose helps but probably not enough to negate the drag at the back. I still like the v-nose for the extra space inside without adding a whole lot to the overall length. 

Archived