2015 Sierra 20" OEM Wheels 2.5" Level, 4"BDS Lift, or 4.5&

Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between a level kit and lift. I thought I had my mind made up with a Rough Country 2.5" Level kit as I didn't want my truck to be too high. But then, I started to read nightmare stories on here from guys that installed the 2.5" level and had rubbing issues on the control arms. This seems to only be with trucks that come with the stock 20x9x27 wheels with 265/55/20s.

With the 2.5" Rough Country kit:

It sounds like you can increase the height but not the width of the tire. So I may have better luck with say a 275/65/20 then I would with a 285/55/20. I'm Considering a 33x11.50R20 or 285/60/20. Do you think either of these would work or one would be better suited to avoid the rub?

Is there a consensus as to the largest size (height/width) without rubbing on the stock 20s?

Also, I'm considering that 4.5" Zone lift kit and the BDS 4" kit but don't want the truck to be too high. Based on the tire sizes that would fit with the 20's and the 2.5" it seems I would only be able to increase my tire size my about an inch. So maybe a 4" lift is better suited?

What's the largest size tire I can comfortably fit with the stock 20's on each kit?

Is there any preference between these kits? One bett than the other?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by NEOutDoors

I wouldn't think that a 4.5" lift will be too high for you. It is only 2" higher than a level kit. It all depends on you though. If you are just going for looks, and want to stay cheap, get an aggressive tire that will fit (275/65 or so) and a level. If you Need a little more clearance? Go with a lift, which will also allow you to run a larger tire. If you do go the lifted route, I would go to a dealership that carries lifted trucks. Try to find a 4" lift and see what you think about it. I would also suggest finding a 6" lift and climbing in and out of it. The price between 4" and 6" isn't much, plus you wont have any doubts in the future if you do your homework completely.

Edited by Irby1757

i just did a 2.5" RC level kit and have 305/55r20. the second picture shows where i had to trim some in the wheel well. still rubs slightly on full locks but ill live with it since it looks so sweet. :)

Good looking truck!

I wouldn't think that a 4.5" lift will be too high for you. It is only 2" higher than a level kit. It all depends on you though. If you are just going for looks, and want to stay cheap, get an aggressive tire that will fit (275/65 or so) and a level. If you Need a little more clearance? Go with a lift, which will also allow you to run a larger tire. If you do go the lifted route, I would go to a dealership that carries lifted trucks. Try to find a 4" lift and see what you think about it. I would also suggest finding a 6" lift and climbing in and out of it. The price between 4" and 6" isn't much, plus you wont have any doubts in the future if you do your homework completely.

Yeah 2" is not much... I think you bring up a good point to go to a dealer and check some trucks out. I've been searching the web and looking at truck pics for days but it tough to get a realistic idea of what the truck will look like. I think I have to see one with a 4" lift in person.

Edited by NEOutDoors

i just did a 2.5" RC level kit and have 305/55r20. the second picture shows where i had to trim some in the wheel well. still rubs slightly on full locks but ill live with it since it looks so sweet. :)

Thanks for sending over the pics and info. Truck looks great. Do you think you had rubbing issues due to the height or width of the tire?

44a510c62c91375e805d95b4890b4763.jpgZone 4.5" on 33s. On stocks you can fit 35s

2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2L

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Instagram @wildchevys

Thanks for sharing a pic. I really like the looks of your truck. Did you have to put spacers on the rear wheels to match the increased width on the front?

Any difference between the BDS 4" and the zone 4.5.... other than a 1/2 inch

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing a pic. I really like the looks of your truck. Did you have to put spacers on the rear wheels to match the increased width on the front?

Any difference between the BDS 4" and the zone 4.5.... other than a 1/2 inch

Thanks!

thanks and I have 1.5" rear spacers. The BDS uses replacement struts where Zone uses a front strut spacer for the stock strut. And as an aside BDS and Zone are the same company owned by Fox.

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

thanks and I have 1.5" rear spacers. The BDS uses replacement struts where Zone uses a front strut spacer for the stock strut. And as an aside BDS and Zone are the same company owned by Fox.

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just realized the BDS only made the 4" for up to 2013. That sucks... I was leaning towards that. How's the ride quality on the Zone 4.5" lift?

Edited by NEOutDoors

Yeah 2" is not much... I think you bring up a good point to go to a dealer and check some trucks out. I've been searching the web and looking at truck pics for days but it tough to get a realistic idea of what the truck will look like. I think I have to see one with a 4" lift in person.

When my wife decided she was on board for lifting the truck, she wanted to do a 4" lift. I didn't want to spend almost the same amount on a 4.5" as the 6.5" due to the price being so close, and already having a level, I didn't see going to 4" as being a big jump. So I loaded her up and we found a dealership with a 4" and 6" lift next to each other. Her being able to climb in and out of them sold the 6.5" for us. It helped a ton.

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

Did you use bora spacers? I think I may add some for mine. Did the 1.5" even out the wheels? Or are the back a little further than the front now? Edited by Irby1757

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just realized the BDS only made the 4" for up to 2013. That sucks... I was leaning towards that. How's the ride quality on the Zone 4.5" lift?

BDS makes the 4" for 14-17", lots of guys here have it. And the Zone rides great.

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

Did you use borla spacers? I think I may add some for mine. Did the 1.5" even out the wheels? Or are the back a little further than the front now?

i used bora, and the 1.5" was perfect

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

i love the way my truck looks when its parked thier standing still (7" lift w/35s)

but once i get in her and driver her around, i kinda start to feel a little regret.

my wife and kids struggle to climb into my truck.

and the ride is no the greatest (lt tires)

i think i would rather have went with a 4" bds and stuck with some 33" toyo mt's.