Reverse Light Wiring

Hey guys new to the forum here but I've got a question. I've got a 17 Chevy 1500 double cab custom and I've got an led tailgate strip mounted and installed into the 4-prong trailer harness, which leaves an extra wire dangling for the reverse lights. Question is, should I run the reverse wire to the tail lights or to the 7-prong trailer harness? And depending on which route I should go what's the wire colour? Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

Hey guys new to the forum here but I've got a question. I've got a 17 Chevy 1500 double cab custom and I've got an led tailgate strip mounted and installed into the 4-prong trailer harness, which leaves an extra wire dangling for the reverse lights. Question is, should I run the reverse wire to the tail lights or to the 7-prong trailer harness? And depending on which route I should go what's the wire colour? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Todd McAdam

I would run them to the reverse light. I have a 2016 and my color was the light green. It may be different for you. But it was fairly simple to figure out which wire it is. I used a t connector to connect to the reverse wire for my back up lights. i plan to do the same set up for when i buy my led tailight bar. 

I would run them to the reverse light. I have a 2016 and my color was the light green. It may be different for you. But it was fairly simple to figure out which wire it is. I used a t connector to connect to the reverse wire for my back up lights. i plan to do the same set up for when i buy my led tailight bar. 

The led strip has low draw and shouldn’t cause issues but when you upgrade light bars, make sure you use a 12v relay. It’s the safest way run power to them since you can add a fuse to the power connection. Nobody likes a truck that’s on fire...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet thanks guys. I know the easiest way to figure it out is use a multimeter and toss the truck in reverse to check the voltage on the wires but I lost my multimeter so figured I'd see if anyone knew.

I don't know about your truck but doesn't the plug cover have the pin diagram on it so you know which pin, and thus which wire, is which?  I think when I had that bar thing on my 06' we used a 7pin to 4pin adapter but it's been over a year so I don't remember too well.  If I was going to do it again I'd just hard wire it all and forget the adapter.

15 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

I don't know about your truck but doesn't the plug cover have the pin diagram on it so you know which pin, and thus which wire, is which?  I think when I had that bar thing on my 06' we used a 7pin to 4pin adapter but it's been over a year so I don't remember too well.  If I was going to do it again I'd just hard wire it all and forget the adapter.

Already wired it up. Just spliced it into my tail light reverse. Light green wire

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I did not want to splice any factory wires doing my light strip. I bought this, plugged it in my 7 way harness, and cut off the 5 way plug to wire the strip.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-56584-Custom-Wiring-Harness/dp/B007EA6WQU/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=Curt+5+wire&qid=1589041538&sr=8-8

spacer.png

Edited by jscottl