Ouch, need new bumper

First let's start with the gore:

https://imgur.com/a/yQlzb

Oh yeah, almost forgot the story. Heading home from work, typical heavy traffic on the toll way, truck infront of me swerves left and I see a solid orange looking thing, I have 1.5 seconds to react and decided I could probably go over the thing... Whack... skidding metal sounds, pull over and yank it out from under there, then continue on home. -- Looks like some sort of bob cat attachment or something

So I think I lucked out that everything hit does not require paint. Underneath it took some rubber stuff off the frame (I'm assuming rust protection) and put a big hole into my plastic skid plate. Looking at my insurance I have a $1000 deductible. Now I've always been able to change my own bumper on an older 1994 Silverado, anyone have part numbers on the bumper pieces and skid plate I will need?

My insurance rates are already pretty high, I'd hate for them to go up. Part costs look like $700 or so without labor from my local dealership, and he said that's just for the chrome piece

My truck is an 2014 LTZ and has the front parking sensors, not sure if that complicates things

23173678    Front Bumper    $461.03
    2014-15, BUMPER & HARDWARE, CHROME, W/ PARK ASSIST, CHROME, W/ PARK ASSIST
23126910     Filler Panel    $59.32
    2014-15, TRIM COMPONENTS, W/ SKID PLATE, W/ O TOW HOOKS
23423409     Air Deflector    $86.39
    2014-15, TRIM COMPONENTS

So at least $600, (unless there is something else needed) and am not sure if the trim includes the skid plate or just the bolt holes for the skid plate

Sad to see such a beautiful truck damaged. Is it blue by the way? Could just be the sun bouncing off the bumper.

Should just be a few bolts to get the bumper off. Definitely not worth the outrageous labor charges of the dealership. Id even recommend checking junk yards, craigslist, or apps like OfferUp and Five Mile to get the bumper at a bit of a better price. Everything in terms of sensors, wire harness, and fog lights will just transfer over. 

Looking at it again I almost wonder if that middle section can just be swapped out. Will have to check into that.

So the way you remove the bumper is pretty simple. Take the upper cap off via the 4 bolts, 2 on each side of the truck. Pop it off from below as there are clips holding it down.

Remove the 8 bolts that hold the grille on. 4 on the top and 4 on the bottom.

There are going to be 4 bolts that hold the bumper from above. Should be 15mm bolts. Then there are 2 support bars, one on each side. You can either unbolt those bars from the truck or unbolt the bumper from the bars. 

Then you have to transfer over all the hardware and brackets which should be ok. 

So I just ordered all the parts above, plus one more plastic skid plate behind the bumper: 22847943

think I might need the chrome piece as it might be separate from the “filler panel”

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-GM-OEM-14-15-Silverado-1500-Front-Bumper-Skid-Plate-22944882/292173650867?epid=0&hash=item4406e81bb3:g:FboAAOSwgv5ZXTon

But I’ll wait to see what I get to be sure

Edit: also got the license plate bracket: 

and it is blue :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dug into it a bit today, photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/KFb3Z

Hardest part was getting the bumper cover loose, I've heard you can get under it and get the four 10mm bolts, center two are easy enough, but the outer two were near impossible for me. What we ended up doing is pushing out the tabs under the bumper cover where they slide into the truck and pulling it loose a tab at a time, once it's out the last two grill 10mm bolts are easy to access

So the bumper itself is a chrome metal piece, under that there are two bumper brackets that hold the fog lights and wiring and such. I've had to pull those off and about 500 little uclips from the old bumper to put on the new bumper as I didn't see any hardware/screws included, just the parts themselves. I changed out the "filler panel" part number for the one with tow hooks: 22944881 and also ordered the chrome center skid plate they call it (really is plastic) that goes on top of the filler panel: 22944882

In the photos I took some extra's of the parking sensors, they came out easy enough, pull out the red tab, then stick in the screw driver from the opposite end to help pry it over the little nub you see there when it's disconnected. The sensors pull out from the plastic ring inserts by sticking a screw driver in there and twisting a little, the plastic inserts come out from the inside with four little push in nubs

I'll get some more photos of the brackets and such behind the bumper tomorrow, thought I got good photos of them, but suppose not. I'll also get a few of the chrome tow hooks, got those from amazon as it was a discontinued part for some reason from GM

Finished it up, hardest part this time was getting the chrome skid plate to attach to the plastic filler plate. These two plastic pieces are suppose to snap together, but wouldnt do it even with extreme pressure and tapping it with a rubber mallet. Eventually we noticed on the front of the filler panel, there  are little plastic nubs, these nubs were getting dug into by the chrome piece making little rubber flat spots. We got a razor knife and cut the nubs a bit and then with the rubber mallet and a towel to protect things we got them to snap together. Then after 10 or so bolts to hold the plastic pieces to the bumper and another 20 or so bolts to hold the air dam on we set it back on the truck and it went together quick. New chrome tow hooks werent there before and look nice. I need to install the license plate bracket, but it seems too nice to add that thing to it

saSYbq4.jpg

Archived