07 Silverado nbs dies when performing diagnostic

JakersBadDime

Question

7 answers to this question

^^^ Especially today! Seems everything I buy today is junk, right out of the box.

SUSPECT EVERYTHING. Those 2 words guide EVERY professional automotive technician in 2017. 

Definitely could be the battery, but I'd do a quick check with another scan tool and cable, just to rule that out. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened in the past to a few techs out there.

Might not be a dead short either (you'd see the smoke, and probably fire too) - could be something bringing the CAN lines down. These modern electronic wonders won't run without communication between the myriad of modules.

1 hour ago, Jsdirt said:

Definitely could be the battery, but I'd do a quick check with another scan tool and cable, just to rule that out. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened in the past to a few techs out there.

Might not be a dead short either (you'd see the smoke, and probably fire too) - could be something bringing the CAN lines down. These modern electronic wonders won't run without communication between the myriad of modules.

The battery is less than a year old. I have tried 2 scanners with the same result. I did get a code that read something like "passenger dash lamp circuit short to ground." Also, something about the YAW rate sensor. Any clue? 

Archived