• 2 months later...

ONSTAR Rant - related to this issue...

I was advised that I should contact ONSTAR from my truck to see if they show a lock on my location (as part of the troubleshooting process).

When I contacted them (from within the vehicle), I simply stated that I was testing my GPS due to a no GPS signal icon on my NAV screen and wanted to know if they had a lock on my position...

from there - the Onstar advisor wanted my PIN number (WTF) and after I leave it to her, she started reading from some script, telling me how my PIN would be needed for access to my chevy app and other inquiries? - AGAIN, WTF?

Shen then asked if I was having vehicle issues or would I like navigation assistance...

... so apparently she didn't even pay attention to the first words out of my mouth. I repeated what I wanted to know - "I simple want to know if you have a lock on my position,  I am trying to validate a GPS error signal". I was told to hold - I hung up after 5 minutes - PATHETIC

___

Are we expected to provide a PIN number to use Onstar? - if so, whats the point of having it my car if my kid, wife, family member needs it, do I have to inform every potential driver of my vehicle my PIN? What a crock of Schmidt 

Secondly, this 'advisor' obviously didn't listen to my initial (and simple) request and decided to turn this inquiry into an interview - = this is why I don't like Onstar (they are useless) and I also don't like talking to INDIA - - not cool GM!

Edited by migizi

• 1 year later...

I too have this problem on my 2016 Suburban. Wife was driving in a remote area when the navigation system stopped working, the door locks started operating repeatedly, the emergency flashers went on and off repeatedly and her cell phone would not work because she was connected via Bluetooth. She finally cancelled the navigation and everything else returned to normal. Took it in to the dealer and was told it was caused by water in the shark fin antenna, they had seen numerous of these issues but GM only repaired 2015 models. Filed complaint thru Customer Care and wasted 10 days only to be told it was not covered under warranty. I just filed a complaint thru the NTSB site. With all the discussion regarding this issue, GM is ignoring it and showing their true customer loyalty. I’m speaking with an attorney friend to see if I might have legal options. I know this might sound petty but customer service means everything to me. 

2 hours ago, Rlthom001 said:

I too have this problem on my 2016 Suburban. Wife was driving in a remote area when the navigation system stopped working, the door locks started operating repeatedly, the emergency flashers went on and off repeatedly and her cell phone would not work because she was connected via Bluetooth. She finally cancelled the navigation and everything else returned to normal. Took it in to the dealer and was told it was caused by water in the shark fin antenna, they had seen numerous of these issues but GM only repaired 2015 models. Filed complaint thru Customer Care and wasted 10 days only to be told it was not covered under warranty. I just filed a complaint thru the NTSB site. With all the discussion regarding this issue, GM is ignoring it and showing their true customer loyalty. I’m speaking with an attorney friend to see if I might have legal options. I know this might sound petty but customer service means everything to me. 

Water intrusion into The gps antenna happened to me as well. Easy fix. Took less than an hr. I think I paid about $125 for the shark fin antenna and another $25 for the recommended adhesive.

if an hour of your time and less than $200 bucks is worth getting upset enough to get an attorney,  then your future is going to be full of let downs.

Yes, im calling this petty.

I fixed mine for 19.95.... I found the shark fin on Ebay and did the work my self was hard... you just have to make sure the wiring hook up is the same

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old topic.  I experience this intermittently.   My issue is that when there is excessive moisture - rain/snow - the gps won’t lock on and will display the no-gps icon.  Sometimes the Nav works, sometimes it has me ~5-6 miles away.  As the sun comes out, I get gps signal back and all seems well.

So do I have a failing shark fin or is something else going on?  Would a bead of sealant around the base of the shark fin fix this (or buy me some time)?