Refuel Housing Broke Away From Truck Bed

Stopped in Temescal Valley, CA, for gas on my way home from San Diego, and the stupid refuel pipe housing broke away from my truck.  Anyone else have this happen?  Permanent fix ideas?  I'm looking at getting a short, close tolerance bolt, washers, and nut to fix it.  Stupid cheap plastic "panel retainer" will not hold it securely.

Ironically I noticed this same thing last night. I’m in northern Illinois and it was 0 F out last night so i wasn’t about to mess with it. I was surprised how much movement the filler has then noticed it’s just some cheap little push pins holding everything together...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Friday, on my way to work, I swung by ACE, and picked up a nut, washers and bolt for my fill port, and another set for my phone holder.  Was going to put them in on Saturday, but the constant rain changed that plan.  Had too much going on on Sunday.  Might go and take care of it tonight during my lunch break or tomorrow after I wake up.

• 3 years later...
On 1/4/2018 at 10:14 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

Stopped in Temescal Valley, CA, for gas on my way home from San Diego, and the stupid refuel pipe housing broke away from my truck.  Anyone else have this happen?  Permanent fix ideas?  I'm looking at getting a short, close tolerance bolt, washers, and nut to fix it.  Stupid cheap plastic "panel retainer" will not hold it securely.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:52 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

Today, I bought a bolt and nut to repair this issue.  Will post pics when I'm done with the repair, tomorrow.

On 3/5/2018 at 3:34 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

Friday, on my way to work, I swung by ACE, and picked up a nut, washers and bolt for my fill port, and another set for my phone holder.  Was going to put them in on Saturday, but the constant rain changed that plan.  Had too much going on on Sunday.  Might go and take care of it tonight during my lunch break or tomorrow after I wake up.

I filled up my 2018 Thursday night on my way home from work, and the same that happened to my 2015, happened to this one.  Stupid CHEAP plastic parts.🤬 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 8:46 PM, CrawlSlow said:

Use one of those plastic trim clip fastener.  Make sure it's the correct size and it'll be alright.

You mean like the one it came with?  I have a picture or two (somewhere) of the one from my 2015, when it broke.

IMG_0545.thumb.jpg.792db0b4bb19ce2f3d97bc6552ef0318.jpg

Below is the repair that I did to my 2015, when it happened.  I'm looking at doing the same thing again.  I'm also thinking about doing some water entrapment, corrosion prevention when I do the repair.  I'm getting the parts either tomorrow or Friday, so I can do the repair this weekend. 

IMG_0050.thumb.jpg.4e93a359b42774682d5c0fdec263a52d.jpg