So I've got a 2002 YZ250f that I got from a family friend a couple years back. The bike had a 100% tear down and rebuild including the motor just before I picked it up. It ran great for the first year or so that I had it but just recently it started to lunge forward and stall itself when I drop it from neutral to first with the clutch pulled in all the way. I have to push the bike, hop on and complete my shift while still moving to avoid the stall. Likewise, I cannot stop whatsoever while in first gear or its also an instant stall. Adjusting the clutch cable on the handle bars doesn't do much if anything and a fresh oil change didn't help either. I haven't ridden much in the last yer so not sure if that may complicate things.

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, Z71Flowmaster said:

So I've got a 2002 YZ250f that I got from a family friend a couple years back. The bike had a 100% tear down and rebuild including the motor just before I picked it up. It ran great for the first year or so that I had it but just recently it started to lunge forward and stall itself when I drop it from neutral to first with the clutch pulled in all the way. I have to push the bike, hop on and complete my shift while still moving to avoid the stall. Likewise, I cannot stop whatsoever while in first gear or its also an instant stall. Adjusting the clutch cable on the handle bars doesn't do much if anything and a fresh oil change didn't help either. I haven't ridden much in the last yer so not sure if that may complicate things.

Thoughts?

Are you riding in the cold weather right now?
Does the clutch work at all when you're riding?

There are a few possibilities;

You could have some clutch plates stuck together, which sometimes happens if the bike hasn't been rode in a while. However, they usually free themselves up after a bit of riding. 

The clutch basket could be worn, which can sometimes cause the plates to not free up properly when the clutch lever is pulled in. 

If riding in cold weather, the oil will thicken when cold and can cause the clutch to be really draggy. However, it should improve when the engine warms up.

The release bearing, or shaft could be worn, making it so that the clutch can't release all the way when you pull the lever in.

Your cable might be stretched and worn, making it such that it can't fully release the clutch even when adjusted & the lever is pulled in all the way.

I hope this helps?

No, it has been ridden maybe once over the last year for any period of time although I try to start it, let it idle for a bit and cruise up the street for a couple minutes to try and keep things in working order. The clutch feels fine when riding but I don't have enough experience to pinpoint exactly when and where things may go wrong.

I suppose I should take it for a good ride one of these days and see if it helps, otherwise I feel some new parts are in my future. 

Thanks for the help!

Archived