new to trailer buying

ryanhardy

Hey y'all, looking into buying an enclosed trailer! I'm moving duty stations, and can't drive two cars at the same time, so I'm looking to buy an enclosed trailer. I figure it can be dual purpose where I can put my car in, along with some stuff from my home to make it easier to travel with. Looking at a 8.5x24 with 5200lb axles. Not really sure what else to look out for,  in a trailer. Am currently looking at this one. tell me whatcha think! thanks guys! 

https://www.prolinetrailersales.com/enclosed-trailers/enclosed-car-trailers/8-5-x-24-black-out-enclosed-trailer

Nice looking trailer, you should have IBC brake controller on your dash. If so just test and adjust before you take off. Im pulling a 22 ft car hauler open deck with 2- 5200 lb axles with no problem at all. You may be a bit heavier being enclosed just watch your tongue weight not sure if you need a WDH hitch but you will catch some wind pulling that trailer. Make sure push that tow haul button in and dont be afraid to use your Manual shift option. I have found it to be a good tool when pulling with 2500. 

On 2/27/2018 at 10:12 AM, ryanhardy said:

I'm moving duty stations, and can't drive two cars at the same time, so I'm looking to buy an enclosed trailer. I figure it can be dual purpose .

Maybe you need to look for a "honey" to drive one of your vehicles, she could be dual purpose too !:D Might be cheaper than buying a trailer and easier to get rid of too, on second thought, maybe not so much.

hahaha I think the headaches are more expensive with any "honey" than any money spent on a trailer! Yea I do have a IBC,  Right now I just have a 5" drop ball hitch but I'll look into a different one! Thanks for the help!

When buying enclosed cargo trailers don't judge a book by its cover.

They all look the same and people will just price the cheapest trailer and go with it.

This is where your trailer salesperson pays off.

Cargo trailers although looking the same are constructed very differently and made from different materials.

Depending on how you want to use the trailer should determine how you need it built.

z-channel vs hat channel vs tube for uprights

stamped c-channel vs angle iron vs structural c-channel vs tube for floor cross members

If you only plan to use the trailer a couple of times a year you can get away with a light construction utilizing stamped floor cross members and z-bar vertical frame as well as 0.030 to 0.032 aluminum skin.

If you buy a trailer with this construction and try and use it more than that  you will start having failures like floor cross member cracks, skins cracking due to frame upright flexing, etc.

A commercial everyday use design will utilize enclosed tubing on uprights and floor cross members . The exterior skin will be 0.035 to 0.040" and utilize a bonded skin and not use rivets or screws to secure the skin panels. Never attach anything to the interior or exterior walls of the trailer unless it has tubing uprights.

A greater confusion still occurs when manufacturers make both designs as well as something in between  and on the used market you might not know what you are buying without partial disassembly.  You think you are getting a good deal on a premium trailer used and find out it is actually an overpriced entry level trailer.

Last lick of wisdom, don't get hung up on brand name. Some of the bigger names skimp on stuff to reduce manufacturing costs while other smaller manufacturers make it the best trailer they can and sell for less.  I will not name names on a public forum.

Archived