2018 GMC 2500 Denali Hitch issue

I found that the safety chains on my travel trailer would not fit thru the hitch area on my new truck.  The bend radius is much too tight on the safety link for the large hitch area.  You need a hitch link with at least a 3/4" diameter.   

The quick links i found at hardware stores also had a tighter bend radius or small gap opening to fit thru the hitch until I found the ones pictured below.

You can get these from Firetoys.com.   Look for the Quick Link (Maillon Rapide) No.12 (Pear-Shaped).  They have a working load limit of 3085 lbs., and a breaking limit of 7868 lbs.

Now I have a simple hitch up link for my safety chains.

20180308_152905.jpg

I ran into the same problem with a horse trailer we just purchased. Went to a local trailer service shop and purchased larger grade 70 locking hooks. Swapped out the smaller hooks and I thought all would be OK. Not quite true. The new hooks work fine but due to their large size there wasn't room to attach the break-away cable for the emergency trailer brakes.

This is the first truck I've seen with the 2.5" receiver and the over-sized safety chain hook ups.

Here is a link to the grade 70 hooks I purchased to replace the small ones I had on my trailer's safety chains.

https://www.crofttrailer.com/csh38g70-3-8-clevis-slip-hook-grade-70-with-latch/#page=page-1

CSH5250G70-Ind__23137.1461686753.370.350

Archived