6.0 performance / fuel economy questions

No, Im not.  If it can be done it would have already been done by the OEM.  You did not figure out something they missed.  The competition is fierce among them (and has been forever), and they are looking to give you everything.  They are totally not looking to leave 5, 10, 15 HP on the table just because it makes them feel good.  And at no additional hardware expense?  Hell no.  At the end of the day brochures still sell trucks, and they want the prettiest numbers they can print in those brochures.  
[/ That’s where you’re missing the boat. You can build two identical engines and put a generic tune in them one will perform better than the other. That’s where tuning comes in. There’s always performance left on the table. I was a fleet buyer for the family business. I would buy 3-4 identical trucks. Before we outfit the trucks we line them up, they would always perform different. Then we tune. Turbo engines were the most fun you could get up to 100HP with just a caned tune. Does the factory leave performance on the table? Yes. GM played a little with E-85 by giving you additional HP by using it. Tuning for premium gas would produce performance gains too. There’re not tuning engines individually, it’s generic so tuning room is there. It’s just logical. Like a custom tailored suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, Im not.  If it can be done it would have already been done by the OEM.  You did not figure out something they missed.  The competition is fierce among them (and has been forever), and they are looking to give you everything.  They are totally not looking to leave 5, 10, 15 HP on the table just because it makes them feel good.  And at no additional hardware expense?  Hell no.  At the end of the day brochures still sell trucks, and they want the prettiest numbers they can print in those brochures.  

You sound stoopid. Not in this post. Just the rest of them. There are plenty of vehicles that benefit from “just a tune”
Hell, my old Evo could bump up 30+ with just exhaust and tune. CAI was for sound effects only. And that’s 30+ on a dyno. From a car that dyno’d baseline like 250. That’s a huge difference amigo. A tune will without a doubt change a vehicle. There are snake oil tuners out there without a doubt. But a proper tune does a vehicle some good

23 hours ago, KARNUT said:
23 hours ago, free88 said:
KARNUT said: That’s where you’re missing the boat. You can build two identical engines and put a generic tune in them one will perform better than the other. That’s where tuning comes in. There’s always performance left on the table. I was a fleet buyer for the family business. I would buy 3-4 identical trucks. Before we outfit the trucks we line them up, they would always perform different. Then we tune. Turbo engines were the most fun you could get up to 100HP with just a caned tune. Does the factory leave performance on the table? Yes. GM played a little with E-85 by giving you additional HP by using it. Tuning for premium gas would produce performance gains too. There’re not tuning engines individually, it’s generic so tuning room is there. It’s just logical. Like a custom tailored suit.

You have no idea how the code works, do you.  I mean, like absolutely no clue.  I code machines for a living, son.  I write code for companies like Space X, Lockheed Martin, and many others.  It is evidently clear that this topic is just way over your head.  GM "played a little" with E85?  Haaa-larious.  You are talking out your ass, just like the other clown.  Like, OMG, premium fuel has been poured into the gas tank.  We only recommended regular!  We thought this could never happen!  Oh no!  Please Mr. Tuner man, fix that truck.  Hahahaha.  What a joke.

You have no idea how the code works, do you.  I mean, like absolutely no clue.  I code machines for a living, son.  I write code for companies like Space X, Lockheed Martin, and many others.  It is evidently clear that this topic is just way over your head.  GM "played a little" with E85?  Haaa-larious.  You are talking out your ass, just like the other clown.  Like, OMG, premium fuel has been poured into the gas tank.  We only recommended regular!  We thought this could never happen!  Oh no!  Please Mr. Tuner man, fix that truck.  Hahahaha.  What a joke.

I’m surprised a few tuners haven’t jumped in. I guess they realized early on your a pile of rocks and didn’t want to waste their time. This is just one of the rides I’ve built and tuned over the years.08b1fb6a51a8b1cf56556c654b1d998f.jpg

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I’m surprised a few tuners haven’t jumped in. I guess they realized early on your a pile of rocks and didn’t want to waste their time. This is just one of the rides I’ve built and tuned over the years.08b1fb6a51a8b1cf56556c654b1d998f.jpg

He's just having a grand old time stirring up stuff for kicks with his petty personal attacks and whatever other rubbish. No matter what you write it's all wrong lol.  Just stop replying and it ends until the next thread!

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I’m surprised a few tuners haven’t jumped in. 

They wont, and they shouldnt.  They dont know anything about how the code actually works either.  They will just, like you, be pretending to know, and I will see right through it.  Tuners are not coders.  Tuners are not engineers.  I am both.  I do this stuff for a living, and I get paid handsomely for it.  Multi-million dollar machines, plants, and processes.  Stick to turning wrenches.  That is what you do best.  Leave the code to me.  That is what I do best.

Love the supercharger, BTW.  I have supercharger dreams for my L96.  Not really, but I thought Id try to end it positive.  

They wont, and they shouldnt.  They dont know anything about how the code actually works either.  They will just, like you, be pretending to know, and I will see right through it.  Tuners are not coders.  Tuners are not engineers.  I am both.  I do this stuff for a living, and I get paid handsomely for it.  Multi-million dollar machines, plants, and processes.  Stick to turning wrenches.  That is what you do best.  Leave the code to me.  That is what I do best.

Love the supercharger, BTW.  I have supercharger dreams for my L96.  Not really, but I thought Id try to end it positive.  

This was a hoot, but has run its course.

On 8/20/2018 at 1:38 PM, free88 said:

get independent verification testing done before and after.  Otherwise, you have no idea what you actually got (if anything at all). 

2011 5.3, 3.42.  Dynojet data before and after a Blackbear tune.  Not a huge hp/tq increase, but an increase.  Smoother, more consistent curve over stock; improved AFR.5b7ca973a554c_2011Beforetune.thumb.jpg.f957353dd9fec7e95f1a8791d9547449.jpg5b7ca9845f33e_2011Aftertune.thumb.jpg.ba581b827e8baeb10978d889d60a5451.jpg

This is power at the wheels, I presume.  If it is, this does not prove the engine is producing more (or less) HP/TQ.  It just means more (or less) of it is getting to the wheels (and that is a good thing on its own).  Transmission remapping alone can account for this, as does the expected margin of error of the test itself.  But you guys all know that, so Im all broken record right now.

Edited by free88

On 8/20/2018 at 2:51 PM, lew-e said:

You sound stoopid. Not in this post. Just the rest of them. There are plenty of vehicles that benefit from “just a tune”
Hell, my old Evo could bump up 30+ with just exhaust and tune. CAI was for sound effects only. And that’s 30+ on a dyno. From a car that dyno’d baseline like 250. That’s a huge difference amigo. A tune will without a doubt change a vehicle. There are snake oil tuners out there without a doubt. But a proper tune does a vehicle some good

Ummm an Evo is a turbo motor, of course you are going to get bigger bumps by tuning it. I will agree though, a tune will help a vehicle out....but it may not exactly be adding much HP. Just drivability 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2018 2500HD Denali 6.0. In the past I've done headers,tune,bigger exhaust,cold air induction,etc. I will leave this truck completely stock. I researched the L96, for three years. It's pretty much bullet proof! The heads flow good, exhaust is good,etc. GM spent $$$$$$$$ to get this truck how it is. We spend $$$, to screw it up. I won't even put a leveling kit on it. It is made to pull, and that it does! Good luck!

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 7:51 PM, free88 said:

This is power at the wheels, I presume.  If it is, this does not prove the engine is producing more (or less) HP/TQ.  It just means more (or less) of it is getting to the wheels (and that is a good thing on its own).  Transmission remapping alone can account for this, as does the expected margin of error of the test itself.  But you guys all know that, so Im all broken record right now.

even assuming this is true, who cares?  i don't know about you, but i really could care less how much power i have at the flywheel, all that matters is what is at the wheels.

as for oem vs. aftermarket, i suspect the real difference is that an aftermarket tune can take a more aggressive approach to timing and maybe afr, reduce torque management, etc.. Really just taking out some of the safety factor the OEM builds in to make sure the drivetrain holds together through the warranty period.  But that margin is yours for the taking if you want to take the chance, it is not some fairy tale.  I have no plans to tune my truck, but that doesn't mean I feel the need to disparage those who do.

Edited by txab

On 9/5/2018 at 2:11 PM, hatman74 said:

I have a 2018 2500HD Denali 6.0. In the past I've done headers,tune,bigger exhaust,cold air induction,etc. I will leave this truck completely stock. I researched the L96, for three years. It's pretty much bullet proof! The heads flow good, exhaust is good,etc. GM spent $$$$$$$$ to get this truck how it is. We spend $$$, to screw it up. I won't even put a leveling kit on it. It is made to pull, and that it does! Good luck!

In the past, you could realize some real gains by changing simple parts, etc.  Those days are long gone.  Now you just spend money (on aftermarket parts and tunes) and get nothing or next to nothing in return.  I can understand changing things for looks and sound.  If you dont like the stock exhaust sound, well, changing it to change the sound is something gained.  But dont think for a second that you will actually get more HP/TQ out of it because its not gonna happen.  The stock exhaust is already at least that level of high performance vs anything in the aftermarket.