Peeling Clear Coat

I have a 2016 Tahoe. I purchased brand new from dealer. I am 3.5 years into ownership and have clear coat failure on the roof and hood. Dealership is stating it is out of warranty.  They offered to pay 20% on repainting. What is even worse is I purchased the extra warranty that they sold me with Finishing Touch. Finishing Touch will not cover the repairs because it is a paint failure with general motors. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 6:24 PM, Susan Sallee said:

I have a 2016 Tahoe. I purchased brand new from dealer. I am 3.5 years into ownership and have clear coat failure on the roof and hood. Dealership is stating it is out of warranty.  They offered to pay 20% on repainting. What is even worse is I purchased the extra warranty that they sold me with Finishing Touch. Finishing Touch will not cover the repairs because it is a paint failure with general motors. 

I have a 2016 Tahoe that I purchased new from dealer. I had also purchased a protection plan with Finishing touch that they talked us into when we bought the car on the paint and interior. 3.5 years into ownership the paint on the hood and roof faded. We contacted the protection plan and they were more than willing to take care of. They sent an adjuster out and he classified as clear coat failure. Then the run around started. I contacted Chevrolet and I contacted the dealership. We took the car to the dealership and talked with the assistant manager in the service department. He brought out the manager and he confirmed that it was paint failure. So then the dealership gets involved with Chevrolet. The first call comes back and says they will cover 20%. I told them that some one was going to cover the repairs and it won't be me. They sold me a protection plan through Finishing touch for the paint and the interior so someone needs to cover the damage. After a few days I get a call stating that between the dealership, Chevrolet and Finishing touch it would be repaired at no cost. 

Now it gets better. We took the vehicle back to the dealership to have the hood and the roof repainted. After a week at the body shop the car is ready to be picked up. We walk up to the car and it is all shiny and looking good. But the color doesn't match. We call the service manager out and he says he can't see the issue. The Tahoe is a Brownstone Metallic and the hood is more bronze than the rest of the vehicle. He tells me he can get the paint manager to come speak to me because he can't see the problem. This is a overcast day so it doesn't show really bright but my husband and I can see the difference. While we are waiting for the manager from the body shop to arrive we walk around the vehicle. On the driver side of the vehicle is fresh scratches on the rear quarter panel with redish paint. The scratches are all the way down to the metal. My vehicle had no damage except for the paint failure when I dropped it off. Now I really hot under the collar. The paint manager arrives. He sees what we are talking about with the color off. He says it needs to be blended. The service manager pops up and says that Chevrolet only agreed to repaint and not blend the paint into the fenders. I told him the paint needs to match. His remark is it looks better than it did. I told him I will go after Chevrolet. He kind of steps back and then the body shop manager says he will take care of it. Then we show them the new damage. The service manager is just stepping farther back. When we dropped the car off they took a video of the car so there is proof of no scratches on the body. So then the body shop manager wants to know when we can drop it off. We live 2.5 hours away from the dealership and I just handed the key fob to the body shop manager and said I refuse the car and it needs to be fixed correctly. I am then told that they will try and match the paint and because I live so far away they will deliver it to me. What a nice gesture. Not going to happen. I refuse to have it delivered and have the possibility of not being satisfied and having to accept it as is.

I am calling Chevrolet back tomorrow and letting them know about the recent developments and filing another complaint. The car is 3.5 years old, the paint is not oxidized and this should not be an issue of matching the paint. The hood and roof should not be lighter than the rest of the vehicle. 

Now I will be waiting to see what the new repairs are going to look like. I paid 70k for this car and it has been my pride and joy. To see if damaged and an eyesore is heartbreaking. 

We bought the vehicle in Elk Grove at Maita Chevrolet. GM has had paint issues for many years. The first round of law suits that happened they had to repaint and the warranted for 6 years. Quietly they have reduced the coverage to 3 years/36k miles. My car is 3.5 years old with 61k miles. 

I have made 3 trip so far and have been without the vehicle for a week now. They are not giving me a loaner so I am without a vehicle. Not a happy camper. If it doesn't look good after repairs I will be refusing again. 

Susan