Peeling Clear Coat

While I realize the EPA screwed the paint process to water-based, I'm looking for success/failure stories of people who've had issue with their clear coats peeling. I have a 2017 with the Siren Red tintcoat. What started as a three white paint chips has turned into about quarter sized clear coat peels around each chip about midway up the rear right fender. For comparison, it's the same area were the gas tank cover would be. I have an oil change due soon and I'm fearful chevy will tell me pound sound. Anybody have issues and experiences with their warranties and chips and clear coat peeling? 

While the picture is grainy due to the focus, you can see all the dull red to the left of the chip, that was the initial peel I noticed and it's since gotten worse amongst other chips as well. 

IMG_0615 copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They will be respraying the passenger side bed panel as well as the front passenger quarter panel as well. When I asked the Paint and Body manager, GM is apparently pretty good about their warranty with the pain. He said that about 2 mos ago, a guy came in with a 2012 that had the roof peeled. Apparently, roof peeling on the '12s was common but this guy was out of warranty. GM only asked him to cover 25% of the cost and GM ate the rest. Time will tell... since this is a documented issue on my truck, I wonder what the future holds if other panels begin to peel. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this back up to the top... 

I've started to develop more of the Clear Coat Peeling on the rear drivers side of the bed. This time, I'm calling the 800 number and I'm gonna open a support ticket. I'm fearful of the longevity of the paint. I feel like I'm getting screwed. I love my '17 but I hate the cosmetic issues it has been developing. I've got 10k miles left to the 36k miles and I'm not even in the second year owning the truck yet. 

Will update after the phone call tomorrow. 

Edited by Cf1k1

• 1 month later...

Just another update for everyone. The 800 number got involved with the dealer who told me that paint has a one year warranty, which is not true. The new left side issue on the truck bed has been approved. I also raised hell with the body shop about the right side because they blended and faded the old warranty work, which is not GM standards. The entire panel is to be repainted. There is a new body shop manager who said they will repaint both sides: the right side under body shop warranty and the left under GM warranty. 

At at this point, it’s becoming a lemon law issue here’s in the state of Florida. I explained this to the 800 number who quickly took a defensive position. Simply put, I asked for and extended warranty on the paint for another three years after. The first issue came up at 20k miles and then 4 mos later developed a second spot. Now there is a third spot under the drivers door. Who’s to say what will happen to the flat coat this year? Only time will tell with the warranty. Updates to follow. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, customer service has not been helpful. They closed the case prior to the warranty work getting done. I had to open a new case last week for the new spot under the drivers door but the case manager has yet to call me. I keep getting the same run around answer that nobody can connect me directly but rather can only leave messages. The whole truck needs to be repainted. I’ve had four separate areas develop this problem but nobody will call me back. I sent an email to GM hoping that somebody would maybe read it and be more helpful. GM has lost my trust and confidence for a truck I love but hate looking at because of the clear coat problems. Hopefully the future looks brighter this week and I’ll get an answer. 

Does anybody have have any suggestions?

• 1 year later...

I have a 2016 Tahoe LT that the clear coat is gone on the hood and roof. Appraiser looked at it and stated this is a factory defect. I purchased the extra coverage when I bought it. At first they were let's get it fixed. Once they heard it is a defect from the factory they don't have an approval for the repair. 3.5 years of ownership with 61k miles and $3000 to repair. Hope it doesn't take over the entire vehicle. Guess I start calling GM daily. 

2017 GMC Sierra - Clear coat peeling  on lower back quarter panel.  We were just told that we would have to pay for half of the repairs. The truck had 37,144 miles when we found it. Since this has been found to be an issue in so many GM vehicles, this should be a recall and not a warranty issue. I am getting my truck fixed by another shop. I would rather pay full price for the repair then get screwed by a dealership where I have purchased at least 10 vehicles since 2004. (Imagine the middle finger emoji here.) 

Wouldn't it be nice if you could key every panel and go through insurance to get it all repainted by a different body shop. Sure you'd eat the deductible but at least it'll be over with.