Forward parking assist sensor removal

I have a 2018 Silverado 2500 HD, LTZ, Duramax, 4X4 crew cab, Midnight Edition, single rear wheel.

I want to install a bull bar and need to relocate the forward parking assist sensors. I have this relocation kit: Westin 40-0005S Powder Coated Sensor Re-Locator but don’t know how to remove the sensors in the front bumper. Does anyone know how to do this without removing the bumper completely? I could really use the help.

• Like 1

I have a 2018 Silverado 2500 HD, LTZ, Duramax, 4X4 crew cab, Midnight Edition, single rear wheel.

I want to install a bull bar and need to relocate the forward parking assist sensors. I have this relocation kit: Westin 40-0005S Powder Coated Sensor Re-Locator but don’t know how to remove the sensors in the front bumper. Does anyone know how to do this without removing the bumper completely? I could really use the help.

They release from the backside of the bumper. There is a harness disconnect. To get to from under the bumper.

Now... tell me about this relocation kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The relocation kit is thisWestin 40-0005S Powder Coated Sensor Re-Locator Kit, purchased from Amazon.com. The bull bar I want to install is a 

Dee Zee Bull Bar Part #: DEZ-DZ507519 and the brackets of the relocator kit mount anywhere on the bar. But, I read somewhere someone didn't use the brackets, only the wiring harness and other parts and drilled a one inch hole in the bar itself and mounted the sensors that way but I don't know how he wired it thru the bull bar. If you're interested check out the kit on Amazon.com and see all the components included in the kit.

So, how in the world hoes one get their hand inside the bumper to disconnect the sensors. I'm gonna take off the factory tow hooks (which need to be removed to install the bull bar) to see if I can reach the sensors to disconnect them.

BTW, the reason I'm putting on the bull bar is because my truck got hit in a parking lot  (hit and run) and dented the bumper (I had 68 miles on it!) It's the LTZ Midnight Edition and the slightest mark will show on the painted bumper. I'm hoping the bull bar will give me a little protection.

• 8 months later...

I installed the front parking sensors in my Westin bull bar and forgot to post some photos of it. I disconnected the sensors in the bumper but could not get the sensors themselves out so I bought 2 new sensors on E-bay (but they were silver instead of black). Then I drilled two holes in the back of the bull bar and installed the new sensors and used the harness that came with the relocation kit to plug them in. (see photo). I left the sensors in the bumper and if I ever remove the bull bar, I can just plug the sensors back into the harness. What a bitch it was getting my hand in behind the bumper just to disconnect the harness from the sensors. My hands were bleeding because it’s such a tight fit, otherwise you need to remove the bumper completely which is a major job and then you’d need to put something in the holes left in the bumper. So. I’ll live with what I’ve got. I hope these pictures help anyone interested in relocating their front sensors. I'm going to try and send some pics but don't know how to make them smaller so I might need to send them separately.

0408191828.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So, I decided to remove the Westin bull bar and install a Westin Grill Guard. I removed the front parking sensors that I used the sensor re-locating kit to move the sensors to the bull bar. The sensors worked perfectly fine. Then I installed them on the grill guard and thought all was fine. When the truck in running in park the sensor lite on the dashboard is lite, but as soon as I take it out of park the light goes out and the sensors don’t work. I don’t know what I did wrong. I didn’t disconnect any wiring except the wiring to the sensors themselves so I could get them out of the plastic clip that holds them in place and all I had to do is snap the connector wires together and push the sensors into the holder then into the locator piece. See https://www.westinautomotive.com/sensor-relocator/2018/chevrolet/silverado-2500-hd

So, I don’t have a clue what I did but I’ve taken them apart and put them back together at least 6 times hoping that make them work, but no luck. So I've got no parking sensors, front or rear.

I don’t expect anyone to give me a remedy to this problem but just wanted to let anyone thinking about doing this to beware.

I'll post a new picture soon.

• 5 months later...