Spend my money on Lift Kits, Fox Coil Overs? OR BDS

Hello, just acquired a 2016 1500 SLT 6.2 crew cab.  I want to stay with the 20x9 +27 OEM wheels it came with.  I want to get the highest quality ride possible.  I'm thinking of just putting in some Fox 2.0 coilovers to level it out.  I'm also thinking of the full 4" BDS kit with the fox coil overs.  If i go 4"  i would probably do a 34.5" tall 35x12.50x20 Michelin LTX (<90% street driving).  If i just do the Fox 2.0 i will probably stay smaller tires like 305/50/20.  

I like the looks of a lift and big tires but i like the easy DIY install on the Fox 2.0, better mileage, lighter tires, much lower cost are all appealing.  

Is there anything better?   I got a good deal on the truck so i don't mind spending some money on the best lift.  I have no desire for any extra height beyond what i would need to clear a 34.5" tire.  

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Nasty said:

Coilover with upper arm on a 33.  nice and easy

I've considered the Fox 2.5 and some new ucas as well.  I could self install that.   I guess the 2.0 coils don't require the ucas?  My truck has the Cast Steel A arms.

13 minutes ago, dareo said:

I've considered the Fox 2.5 and some new ucas as well.  I could self install that.   I guess the 2.0 coils don't require the ucas?  My truck has the Cast Steel A arms.

Depending on how much you crank the coilover.  ithink 2" of lift you should have an upper arm. But thats just my opinion

For best ride you will want to make sure you have both good up and down travel. If you just lift the truck using the 2.0 Fox with standard length however much you lift the truck is how much down travel you loose. With the already limited suspension travel on these trucks I do not recommend going this route if you want a better ride.

If you go with the Fox 2.5 make sure you get the shocks with 5.3 inches travel. Stick is around 3.8 inches if I recall correctly. You will need a set of UCA preferably Dirt King, Mazzulla, or other good brands.

With the BDS 4 inch lift you will not loose factory wheel travel. The truck will ride like stock.

You then can go back later with UCA AND FOX 2.5 with the correct length shock and travel to eliminate the shock spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys.  If i go with just the Fox 2.0 i would probably dial it down to 1" or 1.5" of lift, run 305/50/20, and call it good.  I do like a little rake but not as much as it currently has.  Truck has 72k, so the stock suspension isn't fresh. 

My concern with the 2.5 and UCA path is that i will have fitment issues with my stock RD5 wheels, 20x9 +27.  If i can get a setup like Cognito or whatever that will fit those wheels and some wider tires i have no issues with dropping the extra money for more performance.  I would probably dial the 2.5 kit down to 2" to 2.5" range.  

I could take or leave the lift height that the BDS kit offers.  It would be "cool" but i know staying lower will be better on the street.  What would really make me pull the trigger on the BDS+Fox is if it really would ride the best.  People selling take off LT 275 65 20 michelins all day long for low prices, that would help take the sting off the full BDS+Fox+labor cost.  Having this off road capability might come in handy in the future.  

Thanks again, i'm sure this has been rehashed many times in older threads.  I've read a lot and still seem confused on the whole A arm variants, UCAS need or not, all that stuff.  

My UCA never hit on my stock 20”. The backspacing the recommend is more for the 17 inch rims. If you are wanting to build it in stages. I would go BDS lift first. Then front end ( UCA and shocks). Then rear ( deaver springs if not towing, swing shackles and shocks).

I wish I had started with a lift first. I am thinking about a 4” bds and if I go that route I’ll have to get the 4 inch extended shock eyelet to make my shocks work and not use the upper shock spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do it all at once.  Cash from selling my old truck puts a BDS+Fox system within reach.  I've heard people say they don't need UCAs with the BDS 4" because BDS corrects the angles.  I've heard people say they always suggest new UCAs. I've even heard people getting the 6" and dialing the front down to 4.5" to have a bit of a rake.  I'd like 1" of rake if possible.  

After much internal debate:  I want to do the BDS 6" with Fox and the new rear leafs.  I plan to have it installed dialed down from 6" to about 5" in the front.  No rear block in back should give me 4.5" of lift in the back providing a slight rake.  Price is not pretty for this setup and i will need some 35x12.50x20 tires either BFG AT KO or still considering the LTX M/S as it will be good enough for the places i go.  

I don't think there will be any problem with this setup, the stock upper arms, and the stock 20x9 snowflake wheels right?  

Please post if i have overlooked anything but i think this will give me the perfect ride quality.    Thanks again.

11 hours ago, dareo said:

After much internal debate:  I want to do the BDS 6" with Fox and the new rear leafs.  I plan to have it installed dialed down from 6" to about 5" in the front.  No rear block in back should give me 4.5" of lift in the back providing a slight rake.  Price is not pretty for this setup and i will need some 35x12.50x20 tires either BFG AT KO or still considering the LTX M/S as it will be good enough for the places i go.  

I don't think there will be any problem with this setup, the stock upper arms, and the stock 20x9 snowflake wheels right?  

Please post if i have overlooked anything but i think this will give me the perfect ride quality.    Thanks again.

No problem at all with this exact setup.  Stock snowflakes look great wrapped in 35" rubber and function flawlessly both on & off-road with the 6" BDS 2.5 DSC coilover kit using factory UCAs...

3IO_PZPi4HlpUiMJUHdDyVIjT9rEh9AL6RG5-iC9

Edited by VT_Z71
  • Like 1