Key programming issue

I just bought my new Sierra a week ago and I've had a hell of a time getting my key/fob to remember my seat/mirrors/pedal settings.  I've now played with it enough to figure out what may be the problem.  One key says it's Driver 2 and the other says Driver 3.  I got my settings for driver 2 programmed into the 2 button but I can't get number 3 to save in the number 1 button.

Do I have to get the dealer to fix the key to say driver 1?

Edited by outbackpaul

19 hours ago, outbackpaul said:

I just bought my new Sierra a week ago and I've had a hell of a time getting my key/fob to remember my seat/mirrors/pedal settings.  I've now played with it enough to figure out what may be the problem.  One key says it's Driver 2 and the other says Driver 3.  I got my settings for driver 2 programmed into the 2 button but I can't get number 3 to save in the number 1 button.

Do I have to get the dealer to fix the key to say driver 1?

Driver 3?

Sounds like they lost a key and remote before you got the truck, and then didn't erase them before replacing it.  Driver 2 is the only one that is actually following its memory setting as it stands.  Because the fob that is set at Driver 3 is not a primary driver (Driver 1 or Driver 2) it doesn't respond to automatic memory recall. 

Also, its the remotes that signal what driver it is, not the key. 

#PIT5594: Diagnostic Tip - Memory Features For Driver 3 Or 4 - (Nov 7, 2017)

After adding additional keys/fobs, some customers may question how they access the memory features for drivers 3, 4, etc.  What may prompt the question is a DIC message that could suggest there are memory features for driver positions 3, 4, etc, example "You Are Driver 4 for Memory Features", see picture below.

The automatic memory recall feature is only available for keys/fobs learned to driver positions 1 and 2.  If additional keys/fobs are added to a vehicle, the DIC will prompt a message to indicate what driver position that key/fob has been learned to.   

Since there are no automatic memory recall features available for key/fob positions after driver 2, this message is only used to help let the driver know which driver position that key/fob has been learned to.  

This is normal operation and no additional repairs should be made.

Note: If a customer is having a key/fob replaced, which was originally learned to driver position 1 or 2, it is important when the replacement key/fob is learned to the vehicle it is learned to the correct driver position or the automatic memory recall feature may not operate correctly. 

Edited by newdude

5 hours ago, newdude said:

Sounds like they lost a key and remote before you got the truck, and then didn't erase them before replacing it.  Driver 2 is the only one that is actually following its memory setting as it stands.  Because the fob that is set at Driver 3 is not a primary driver (Driver 1 or Driver 2) it doesn't respond to automatic memory recall. 

Also, its the remotes that signal what driver it is, not the key. 

Thank you!!!

I have it scheduled to go in on Saturday morning.

The reason I thought it was the key was because the seats/mirrors don't move until you crank the truck up.  I thought this was really weird because my previous Nissan Armada would recall memory when the doors unlock.  What's the point of not changing seat position until after you get in it?(Rhetorical)

Edited by outbackpaul