Hey Everybody! New 2015 Suburban Owner Here

Hello Everyone, new owner of a 2015 Suburban LT 4x4 here. Just purchased the truck Saturday and have a few questions for all you experts. I have no clue about Chevrolet (always been a Ford guy but the wife said NO EXPEDITIONS) so I have a lot to learn. I will just list the things I am wondering about and we'll go from there.

1. Key fobs and Keys: Truck only came with one set and the fob is in bad shape and hardly functional. Amazon has a nice price on new ones but how hard are these to program? Of course the dealer says only they can link them up to the truck but I've done it before on a Ford just looking it up on YouTube. Is the Chevrolet procedure similar or does the dealership really have to do it? Secondly, I wanted to get a second key for the truck as well. Is this a dealership only deal, and are these keys the expensive ones with the chip in them? Please let me know.

2. AC is not working. I've unfortunately read all the problems with the 2015 AC units AFTER purchasing the truck and it looks like I will be out some money for a condenser, compressor and some lines possibly. Once again, I am not sure about this and really don't want to refill the freon until I know what the issue is. Any wisdom on troubleshooting this and or fixing it would be great. Please let me know your experiences.

3. On the tailgate window, the 2 wires that look like they were connected to the defroster are both ripped off and dangling. Is this an easy fix or am I in for something?

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked 1000 times but once again, I am new to this. I am going to correct these issues and then I can get started with the fun (engine/exhaust/lift/tires)!

Welcome!

The key is programmable and you can get one off Ebay and program it, at least this is my understanding.

The AC should be covered to a point.  GM put out a bulletin on it to cover the Suburban's and Tahoe's.  Check with the dealer and give them your VIN.

No clue on the rear wires but it sounds like something you can fix. Google?

Edited by Black02Silverado

Key Fob you can get here:

https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2015-suburban-new-keyless-remote.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq833kaX43QIVCiaGCh26YAtfEAQYASABEgKXDfD_BwE

Use the remote finder to order the correct one.  Programming instructions: http://www.programyourremote.com/classified/2015-chevrolet-suburban-keyless-entry-remote-fob-smart-key-programming-instructions-listing-7443.aspx  Check your owners manual also.  This may or may not apply to your vehicle.

If the condenser is leaking. It will be covered by the dealer. https://gm.oemdtc.com/8154/17336-03-special-coverage-air-conditioning-condenser-combi-cooler-refrigerant-leak-2015-2017-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

Most likely if the two wires are for the rear glass defroster. If the connector on the glass is broken. You will have to replace the glass panel.

Did you by from a private seller?

Edited by Lt Belspur

It may has well have been. I purchased from a dealership that got it at auction. According to the history it was a rental, then sold to a private party and then was taken to auction. The truck runs and drives very well but I just want to iron out these issues. I appreciate the information you provided. Do you know if the key for these trucks is a transponder key?

You most likely have a transponder key. 

Do you have a picture? I would assume your key does not have remote start since it was a rental.

I would be very careful with this vehicle. Since it was a rental. It was most likely abused.  

If the A/C has been open for a while, your going to need a compressor. That will not be covered by the service bulletin

Keep us posted on the progress. I hope you got a good price for it?. 

With all the electronics on these new style GM vehicles I would suggest an extended warranty. I would look at the GM Dealers that advertise on line extended warranties as they usually have the best prices. There is a kit to repair the rear window defroster, Google search.

Edited by Tahoe02
add