Lighting Mods and the BCM

Hi guys!

I hope i can explain this question!

I added foot well lighting to my 2018 and tied into the wire from the BCM that allows it to come on and be dimmed with the dash back lights (circuit 6817).  Works great!  I would also like for them to come on with the dome light. So, can i just splice the main wire leading to the foot well lights to the dome light circuit in addition to being run to the 6817 wire?  In other words i would have a T-tap at both the (6817 wire "dimmable dash lights") and the (157 wire "Dome light") at the bcm.  Both of those would run to the top of the main wire powering the foot well lights.  Therefore, in theory the foot well lights would get power when when the BCM tells either circuit 6817 or 157 to supply power?

I understand that there would need to be a diod running from both circuits at the BCM to the top of the main foot well wire so no power goes back to one circuit from the other.  However, what i don't know, is what happens if the BCM has both curcuits hot at the same time?  For example, the dimmable lights are on with the headlights.  Then a door is opened in the truck turning on the dome light.  Now the foot well lights are getting power from both circuits.  Does that double the amount of power the lights are getting to 24V?  Or, just have two sources supplying one 12V?

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

You would just have 12V there, supplied by two different sources. In theory your circuit should work. You will also get a small voltage drop (about .7V) across the diode when it is on and even less drop when voltage is passing through two of them in a parallel circuit, as would be your scenario if dome and dash lights were both feeding the step lights.