2020 HD Rumors ? 6.0 gas to 6.6 gas ?

• Powertrain:
    • Gasoline: the current models’ 6.0L V8 L96 will be replaced with a new 6.6L V-8 gasoline engine making around 400 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque, mated to:
      • A new GM 8-speed heavy duty automatic transmission for Sierra 2500HD models
      • A new 9-speed Allison heavy duty automatic transmission for Sierra 3500HD models

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD

The 2020 Silverado HD is expected to receive a complete overhaul (redesign and re-engineering) of the 2500HD and 3500HD Heavy Duty models.

Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Chevrolet.

If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.

2020 Silverado HD Expectations

• Platform:
  • Exterior:
    • All-new exterior design similar to that of new Silverado 1500 that debuted for 2019 model year (see more on 2019 Silverado 1500)
    • Larger size and exterior footprint, along with larger cabs and beds than its predecessor
    • Lighter than its predecessor thanks to mixed-material design, including weight-saving measures in the frame and using aluminum swing panels (hood, doors, tailgate)
    • Roll-formed steel bed that’s stronger than its predecessor
    • Power tailgate available
    • New, more integrated placement of DEF tank that disguises it better than K2 models
    • Improved CornerStep rear bumper
    • New box access step ahead of the wheel wells
    • High-tech LED front headlights
    • LED lighting signatures in the front (Daytime Running Lights) and rear
  • Interior:
    • New interior design
    • Introduction of next-generation Chevrolet infotainment system (third-generation)
    • Introduction of new towing technologies
  • Powertrain:
    • Gasoline: the current models’ 6.0L V8 L96 will be replaced with a new 6.6L V-8 gasoline engine making around 400 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque, mated to:
      • A new GM 8-speed heavy duty automatic transmission for Sierra 2500HD models
      • A new 9-speed Allison heavy duty automatic transmission for Sierra 3500HD models
    • Diesel: the 6.6L Duramax Diesel L5P engine introduced for the 2017 Sierra HD will likely carry over with 445 horsepower and 910 pound-feet of torque mated to a new 9-speed Allison heavy duty automatic transmission
  • Models & Body Styles:
    • Silverado 2500HD Body Styles:
      • Regular Cab Long Box
      • Double Cab Standard Box
      • Double Cab Long Box
      • Crew Cab Standard Box
      • Crew Cab Long Box
    • Silverado 3500HD Body Styles:
      • Regular Cab Long Box with Single or Dual Rear Wheel
      • Crew Cab Standard Box with Single Rear Wheel
      • Double Cab Long Box with Single or Dual Rear Wheel
      • Crew Cab Standard Box with Single Rear Wheel
      • Crew Cab Long Box with Single or Dual Rear Wheel
      • Regular Cab No Box (Chassis Cab/ CC) Dual Rear Wheel
      • Crew Cab Nox Box (Chassis Cab / CC) Dual Rear Wheel
  • Trim levels:
    • Work Truck (WT)
    • LT
    • LT Trail Boss (potential)
    • LTZ
    • High Country
    • Potential Cheyenne and Scottsdale model

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/silverado/2020-chevrolet-silverado/2020-chevrolet-silverado-lineup/2020-chevrolet-silverado-hd/

• Like 1

The HP and Torque claims seem to be true.  Only thing that turns me off is that the 6.6 will be direct injection and have the AFM cylinder shutdown game going on just like the 1/2 ton engines.  At least according to GM Authority and other websites.  Both of these features have their own unique problems that can be a problem down the line, but those problems can be reduced if the owner takes preemptive action to deal with them as soon as they get the vehicle in their hands.   

Edited by Cowpie

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 10:44 PM, Cowpie said:

The HP and Torque claims seem to be true.  Only thing that turns me off is that the 6.6 will be direct injection and have the AFM cylinder shutdown game going on just like the 1/2 ton engines.  At least according to GM Authority and other websites.  Both of these features have their own unique problems that can be a problem down the line, but those problems can be reduced if the owner takes preemptive action to deal with them as soon as they get the vehicle in their hands.   

I not a fan of the direct injection either. If they put AFM on these there goes the reliability. I was hoping they would keep it just like the 6.0 which is basically bulletproof.

47 minutes ago, Gagliano7 said:

I not a fan of the direct injection either. If they put AFM on these there goes the reliability. I was hoping they would keep it just like the 6.0 which is basically bulletproof.

Yeah, I can deal with DI issues. The AFM deal would really cause me to ignore the 6.6