2014 6.2 smells rich at idle

I have a 2014 gmc 6.2 motor and over the past couple of months I have noticed a rich smell at an idol. It’s there all the time even after I drive it a ways. It has 35K miles in it. I’ve talked with the dealer and they say they have not had any issues with it and no recalls. A friend said the pvc valve will caus it but I think it’s under the valve cover. Anyone else have an issue with this? 

13 minutes ago, mr8ball said:

I have a 2014 gmc 6.2 motor and over the past couple of months I have noticed a rich smell at an idol. It’s there all the time even after I drive it a ways. It has 35K miles in it. I’ve talked with the dealer and they say they have not had any issues with it and no recalls. A friend said the pvc valve will caus it but I think it’s under the valve cover. Anyone else have an issue with this? 

Any mods? CEL?

56 minutes ago, mr8ball said:

Mine is the SLT with the 6.2 motor. 

I was asking if you have any modifications (like CAI or tune or whatever) and if you have a Check Engine Light??

1 hour ago, mr8ball said:

Winter gas blend? How long have you owned the truck?

49 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I was asking if you have any modifications (like CAI or tune or whatever) and if you have a Check Engine Light??

Sorry. I have not changed anything on it. I bought it New in 2016. The dealer had said something about the gas but I have used a different place to get gas quite often and it doesn’t change anything. I was going to take it by the dealer Monday. My warranty runs out this month. I put some injector cleaner in it today to see if it helps. Nothing yet on that. I was only able to go a few miles after that. 

40 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Winter gas blend? How long have you owned the truck?

I’ve tried different places with the gas. I’ve had it 3 years this month. I got it New in 2016. No mods at all. The dealer has done everything to it since I’ve had it. 

Edited by mr8ball

23 minutes ago, mr8ball said:

I’ve tried different places with the gas. I’ve had it 3 years this month. I got it New in 2016. No mods at all. The dealer has done everything to it since I’ve had it. 

Hmm, do you have a scan tool? Is the truck running any different? Rough idle, hesitation, really bad gas mileage?

• txab changed the title to 2014 6.2 smells rich at idle
29 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Hmm, do you have a scan tool? Is the truck running any different? Rough idle, hesitation, really bad gas mileage?

Nothing like that going on. I don’t have a scan tool. No warning lights have showed up and the gas mileage is around 15  to 17. city. A friend was tell me he has a 2015 and he had it turned and it really helped his run better. He also said he turned off where it cuts back to 4 cylinders. I was thinking about that but didn’t want to do anything to void the warranty. He also said it really helped in MPG. Right now I just hate the smell. It doesn’t smoke when I start it or reve the motor but you can smell the rich smell. Thanks to all for the replies. 

1 hour ago, mr8ball said:

Nothing like that going on. I don’t have a scan tool. No warning lights have showed up and the gas mileage is around 15  to 17. city. A friend was tell me he has a 2015 and he had it turned and it really helped his run better. He also said he turned off where it cuts back to 4 cylinders. I was thinking about that but didn’t want to do anything to void the warranty. He also said it really helped in MPG. Right now I just hate the smell. It doesn’t smoke when I start it or reve the motor but you can smell the rich smell. Thanks to all for the replies. 

No problem, one thing about the direct injections is, they are different. My wife has complained about the fuel smell since my 14. They do smell as if they are runnining “rich”, I think is just the nature of the beast. I always tell her it just smells like horsepower!