need opinions on 2015 /2016 2500 hd

i am looking into getting a newer truck and wanted opinions on the 2015/2016 silverado 2500hd trucks what should i look for to avoid a problem child  also what are the common problem with them? all help and opinions greatly appreciated thanks 

admin please move if i added this to the wrong area

Edited by 94yj
add

I believe the 2016's got the digital steering assist.  Also, there were some changes mid-year to the 2015's.  (updated to new mirrors, lost HD radio and a couple other small things I believe)  HD radio was added back on the 2016's.

I have no direct experience, but it seems many have had issues with the digital steering assist and 20" rims/tires.  Not sure what would be causing that, but many claim to have vibration issues with that.   Mine is a 2015 and I have 18" rims/tires so it is not an issue for me.   I have not heard of anyone with the digital assist and 18" rims/tires having a problem.     So you might want to stay away from the 20" wheels as a precaution. 

Edited by Cowpie

4 hours ago, Cowpie said:

I have no direct experience, but it seems many have had issues with the digital steering assist and 20" rims/tires.  Not sure what would be causing that, but many claim to have vibration issues with that.   Mine is a 2015 and I have 18" rims/tires so it is not an issue for me.   I have not heard of anyone with the digital assist and 18" rims/tires having a problem.     So you might want to stay away from the 20" wheels as a precaution. 

thank you i will stay away from those

I have a 15 HD SLT 6.0 Plow Prep 18" tires/wheels

Head Lights are fair to OK compared to other years - 16's are better

15 steering is traditional & very good

my 04 11 & 15 drivelines were are exceptional quality 6.0  6 speed 4.10 (04 had the 4 spd)

no issues - very good truck

my 6.0 has 96,000 miles and uses about 1/4 of a quart of oil in 7000 miles

truck is all original except tires oil and air filters and runs NEW

I drive 75 all day and average 13.5 mpg

I only hope my next one is as good

• Like 2

So I'll chime back in on the steering.  I don't know if something was updated on the 2017 but I much prefer the assisted steering in my current truck vs. my early 2015 3500 SRW..Have had no issues with it in 33,000 miles.

20 minutes ago, CRApex said:

So I'll chime back in on the steering.  I don't know if something was updated on the 2017 but I much prefer the assisted steering in my current truck vs. my early 2015 3500 SRW..Have had no issues with it in 33,000 miles.

i have a 2016 crew work truck without digital assist.  i have never driven a vehicle with it.  what is it that you like?  

i bet it is one of those things like heated seats, where you never noticed it before but once you have it you can’t go back!

11 minutes ago, i82much said:

i have a 2016 crew work truck without digital assist.  i have never driven a vehicle with it.  what is it that you like?  

i bet it is one of those things like heated seats, where you never noticed it before but once you have it you can’t go back!

So it steers considerably lighter..In and out of parking spaces and other tight spots, backing up to trailers basically any low speed maneuvering is much easier.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CRApex said:

So it steers considerably lighter..In and out of parking spaces and other tight spots, backing up to trailers basically any low speed maneuvering is much easier.  

i better stay away from that.  i already feel spoiled by power windows and fuel injection, and now i am shopping for a receiver with a bigger screen.  funny how ya think “i don’t need all that crap” and the next thing you know you are looking to upgrade!