VERY odd starting problem with video 2016 4500 express 6.0

I have a 2016 Chevy Express Van 4500 6.0 gas cutaway chassis under a Jayco motorhome with 4600 miles.  I bought it a month ago and it has this bizarre starting problem.  It is easier to show a video than describe it.

I have already check the starter/solenoid and hot wired under the hood in the fuse box to the start relay and it is not those.  I have swapped the relays also.  This is an issue between the starter relay and the rest of the electrical system.  

If anyone can tell me what TSB 16-NA-346 is I would be greatly appreciative, can't find out anywhere what it is but I hear it is something to do with starting.  The dealer has been dragging their feet for a MONTH and don't want to work on it because it is a motorhome.

Usually it starts, it is intermittent, solenoid gets power intermittently, not at all, or instantly, no pattern.   I have already replaced the battery.  Sometimes it just delays then starts after a couple seconds.  Sometimes it starts perfect.

Here is the videos.  Video 2 and 3 are the best ones.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjlbvzbqjw21tQl3UwEWSptkj3YOZFfCu

David 

Edited by davidl340

I have googled this subject to death, finding the real TSB has not happened yet w/o having to pay.  As you know some of these TSB are really useless, was hoping someone had the real one and could tell me if it is worth it. 16-NA-346

Edited by davidl340

hollywoodsle is that what the TSB said?  That isn't my issue for sure unfortunately, when I hot wire the starter it works perfect.  Thanks for the post.

Just now, hollywoodsle said:

The cause of the condition may be the internal spool sleeve in the starter not allowing full travel of the armature to engage the flywheel.

Yup.  I did just get an appointment at the dealer.  Will see if I get the typical "sorry, can't reproduce it" answer.  I've been working on cars for a long time, this one is weird one.

Edited by davidl340

So just dropped it off at dealer. They informed me that I am a couple weeks out of bumper to bumper warranty and starter/electrical system probably won't be covered on powertrain warranty :fume:   Have a feeling this is going to be a complicated one to diagnose (bet they'll swap a starter and it will flake out again in a couple days), bet the bill is going to be ridiculous.

UPDATE: dealer says 'short in fuse box', $450, my responsibility.

Edited by davidl340

So, picked up from dealer, it starts right now.  Somehow he got the price down to $160.  The part they replaced was part# 23104897.  So far so good.  Posting this so others with same issue can possibly diagnose it themselves.

Edited by davidl340

• 1 year later...