So it started two weeks ago when I was locked out of my running 2014 Silverado.  I was loading the trash for a dump run, started the truck to warm it up, got out closed the door and heard the tell tail click of the doors locking. Luckily it happened inthe driveway so had the spare keys in the house.  Thought I was losing my marbles, thought truck was haunted ?.

When I opened the truck up I noticed when I closed the drivers door the truck would lock itself. Found the drivers window worked ok but I couldn’t control the other three windows and the mirrors from the drivers controls.  All windows worked from their individual switches.  Thats with the door closed. Open the door and everything worked fine.

Of course searched the web for similar problems but not much available for Silverados like I was seeing.  I did see a lot of stories for other vehicles with similar symptoms.  

Long of the short, I pulled the drivers door panel, drivers speaker and then disconnected the drivers wire harness connector. Pulled the connector, boot and associated connectors and fed them through the speaker hole.  It was a bear but pushed the boot up high enough and pulled the tape off to expose the wires (theres a plastic strain relief, cut the tiewrap and tape and slide it up and out of the way).  Upon close examination found three wires cracked down to bare copper and low and behold, the pink 22 gage wire BROKEN.  Spliced the broken wire, taped the others and put the whole mess back together.  Total repair time about four hours.  Before you start replacing expensive parts check those wires!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2