Issues with BFG K02's

Jason Clark

I have a 2016 Silverado, and when I bought it I had them throw on 265/65/18 BFG K02's.   For the first 30k or so, they were fairly quiet, but now they are freaking loud.   Has anyone else had similar issues with these tires at around 50,000 km?  It's bad enough that I want to tear them off the truck as the noise is worse at the speeds I travel most (80-95 k/hr).  For reference they have about 8mm left on them.   Any suggestions on other tires to look at for someone who tows periodically in the summer (6000lbs or so)?

Thanks!

Edited by Jason Clark

On 3/11/2019 at 6:40 PM, Jason Clark said:

I have a 2016 Silverado, and when I bought it I had them throw on 265/65/18 BFG K02's.   For the first 30k or so, they were fairly quiet, but now they are freaking loud.   Has anyone else had similar issues with these tires at around 50,000 km?  It's bad enough that I want to tear them off the truck as the noise is worse at the speeds I travel most (80-95 k/hr).  For reference they have about 8mm left on them.   Any suggestions on other tires to look at for someone who tows periodically in the summer (6000lbs or so)?

Thanks!

Happens a lot when tires get older and the oils in the rubber start to dry out.  Especially on all-terrain tires, which have a tread pattern that runs noisier to begin with.  May be exacerbated by the alignment being off.  Mine was toed-out from the factory, which caused the inside tread blocks to wear a little funky, which led to a whomp-whomp-whomp sound (but surprisingly, not much vibration at all).

When the rubber starts to dry out, a lot of times you'll get small dry-rot cracks, especially down between the tread blocks or around the tire bead where it meets the wheel.  In my experience, those little cracks are just superficial--they just look bad but don't hurt anything in normal use. 

A lot of folks (that have enough $) replace their tires every 3 years/30K miles or so, because of this.  I don't have a lot of $, so I turn up the radio volume and run the A/T tires clear down past the wear indicators, unless they get to vibrating too badly.  

If you need a 10-ply tire for towing, in that stock size, you're stuck with the BfG KO2's.  The Nitto Ridge Grappler is available in an XL load rating.  Or if you can run a P-rated tire and want a quieter on/off-road all-terrain tire, go with the Continental Terrain Contact A/T, Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, or Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 or such.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

Right.  I assumed he wanted to stick with an all-terrain, and he wouldn't like mud-terrains if he thought the all-terrain tires were too noisy.

If he wants a highway tire, he should look at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, Michelin Primacy LTX, or Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza.  The Primacy and the Alenza are both TPC Spec, which means they have been tested by GM and come stock on some GM models.