Looking to swap out 2017 LT Z71 grille (black bars) for LTZ Z71 grille (chrome bars )

Hey guys!

I know there was a similar post about this a couple years ago, but I never found a resolution. I have a 2017 Silverado Z71 LT (Summit White) with the standard grille (three black bars). I want to add a splash more chrome to the look. I was wondering how difficult (and expensive) it might be to obtain an LTZ Z71 grille insert (with the three chrome bars). Any thoughts and ideas welcomed. 

Additionally, if anyone has any thoughts on other ways to get some OEM chrome on my truck relatively inexpensively, I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Thanks!

Edited by Jason23

I did the same thing you're looking to do. You have the buy a whole new paint to match grill from a 2017 Z71 LTZ with chrome insert. You have to cut the black insert out or you will break a bunch of tabs on your existing surround and then snap in the new chrome insert. I'm pretty sure I got mine from gmpartsdirect

So I've been searching around and I like the idea of the inserts or "overlays" as I've seen some called.. They look good and are priced MUCH nicer than a whole new grille. 

That said, I am struggling to find a chrome one in the OEM style. I found a chrome one that fits the 2500 Z71. I also found a black one that fits the 1500 Z71. But I cannot seem to locate an OEM styled chrome insert to fit the 1500 Z71. Anyone have any ideas on where I might find such an item?

As always,  thanks for any thoughts!

1 hour ago, Jason23 said:

So I've been searching around and I like the idea of the inserts or "overlays" as I've seen some called.. They look good and are priced MUCH nicer than a whole new grille. 

That said, I am struggling to find a chrome one in the OEM style. I found a chrome one that fits the 2500 Z71. I also found a black one that fits the 1500 Z71. But I cannot seem to locate an OEM styled chrome insert to fit the 1500 Z71. Anyone have any ideas on where I might find such an item?

As always,  thanks for any thoughts!

Can you post a picture of what you’re talking about I thought you were talking about the LTZ style chrome grill for the Z 71 not the outer shell but the actual three bar grill..  I had the all black and mine and then switch to this 

4C7FDAB0-3A9D-4088-86DF-AB7429C267FD.jpeg

Edited by CovetedStyle

Can you post a picture of what you’re talking about I thought you were talking about the LTZ style chrome grill for the Z 71 not the outer shell but the actual three bar grill..  I had the all black and mine and then switch to this 
4C7FDAB0-3A9D-4088-86DF-AB7429C267FD.thumb.jpeg.41d2c14c41486e55e80786dbdfdd3785.jpeg

I am interested in making this swap, too. Do you mind sharing the details on the grill insert in that photo? Where you got it? How much? Part number?

Thanks.

Ok, so that part would absolutely work.  Initially that's what I was looking for. Then I came across snap on inserts. They are just the chrome "bars" but I can't find them for the 1500 Z71. Only the 2500. Here's that item:

2015-2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 Chrome Grille Insert Overlay Trim LT Z71 Only https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSH1ADT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oqyKCbYE4G3ED

Priced at just over $100, it fits my budget well. Do you mind me asking how much the part you went with set you back?

1 hour ago, Armo325 said:

I am interested in making this swap, too. Do you mind sharing the details on the grill insert in that photo? Where you got it? How much? Part number?

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, Jason23 said:

Ok, so that part would absolutely work.  Initially that's what I was looking for. Then I came across snap on inserts. They are just the chrome "bars" but I can't find them for the 1500 Z71. Only the 2500. Here's that item:

2015-2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 Chrome Grille Insert Overlay Trim LT Z71 Only https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSH1ADT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oqyKCbYE4G3ED

Priced at just over $100, it fits my budget well. Do you mind me asking how much the part you went with set you back?

So this is not sold by itself, you have to buy the entire grill and surround (trust me I’ve looked, in the slam’d/bagged scene this grill is a very sought after item so anyone posting them in classifieds gets picked up very quickly)  I still have the unpainted paint to match surround, I had it for sale for a little while but just took it off because nobody was buying. Like I said before I’m 90% sure I bought it off of GMpartsdirect.com but I’d have to look it up tomorrow when I get back in my shop. I believe it was around $450-500 (but I’m not positive on this).  The reason you can’t find any inserts or anything like that is because they are plastic welded to the actual grill itself you cannot remove the chrome inserts from this grill. I mean you could if you had to but it would be a great deal of work.  When I get in my shop tomorrow I’ll go through receipts and try and get the part number. This is the other parts it comes with..

864551D0-463D-4549-B23F-6BAB711CF6E4.jpeg

95% sure this is the one I got.. https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-grille-84056784

Edited by CovetedStyle

Ahhhhh....I see. I have seen the full OEM grilles and the price kind of scared me toward a potential less expensive option in the inserts. I may just have to put it out of my mind. Not sure I could swing it at that price point. 

I appreciate your research and replies!

• Like 1

i've got a 2014 ltz z71 (so yea... i know ... not the correct grille)  i bought chrome inserts for my grille.  cost was minimal (right around $120 canadian)

i found mine on ebay:  overlay link

(ha...  wow... the price has gone since i bought mine a couple years ago!!)

maybe see if ebay has something for your 2017: 2017 overlays

pics of mine below....

IMG_2736.thumb.JPG.91f340a7fdae968469fb21e029fa4986.JPG

IMG_2737.thumb.JPG.1cba2f5166562060e9556cd4dc0959f7.JPG

IMG_2742.thumb.JPG.a1fb49cbea1d4988e643d1b715534772.JPG

2 hours ago, Jason23 said:

Ahhhhh....I see. I have seen the full OEM grilles and the price kind of scared me toward a potential less expensive option in the inserts. I may just have to put it out of my mind. Not sure I could swing it at that price point. 

I appreciate your research and replies!

Definitely understandable..and no problem my friend, always down to help with my limited info haha.. I’d still like to see these inserts your looking at because other than the TRex & billet bar grills I’ve never seen any insert style grill for our model trucks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bc-chris said:

i've got a 2014 ltz z71 (so yea... i know ... not the correct grille)  i bought chrome inserts for my grille.  cost was minimal (right around $120 canadian)

i found mine on ebay:  overlay link

(ha...  wow... the price has gone since i bought mine a couple years ago!!)

maybe see if ebay has something for your 2017: 2017 overlays

pics of mine below....

IMG_2736.thumb.JPG.91f340a7fdae968469fb21e029fa4986.JPG

IMG_2737.thumb.JPG.1cba2f5166562060e9556cd4dc0959f7.JPG

IMG_2742.thumb.JPG.a1fb49cbea1d4988e643d1b715534772.JPG

Yep! That's EXACTLY what I'm after but for the '17 Z71. I wonder why nobody seems to make them for the '17's. I saw plenty for previous years' 1500 models and even for the '17 2500 Z71.

Edited by Jason23

So this is what I'm looking for but in chrome instead of black. Cant seem to locate this in chrome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-16-18-Chevy-Silverado-1500-Z71-Gloss-Black-ABS-Overlay-Grille-ABS6487BL/153294667939?hash=item23b11300a3:g:t5oAAOSwBPxcgEHx