loud cunk/bang

I have an 08 Silverado 1500 4wd it started making a loud clunk/bang noise sounds like coming from the back I have no clue what it is when I reverse and turn slightly it makes the noise and when I put it in drive it makes the noise also turning it will make it as well 

I have an 08 Silverado 1500 4wd it started making a loud clunk/bang noise sounds like coming from the back I have no clue what it is when I reverse and turn slightly it makes the noise and when I put it in drive it makes the noise also turning it will make it as well 
What's your transfer case switch set to? Maybe go thru the cycles in case something didn't switch completely over. Otherwise check the transmission fluid, rear axle differential fluid, transfer case fluid especially if you have 4wd as they had the "pump rub" issue years ago.

Check and make sure the rear of the transfer case isn't leaking onto the ground as that's a early indicator.

Clunking sounds like it could be CV Axles from front differential to front wheels. Check for tears in CV Axle Outer and Inner boots. Also check front differential fluid levels.

Have you ever had the fluid changed in the front, rear or transfer case and transmission? It's something that can be done with a couple hours, proper tools, proper fluids and a Haynes Manual available at most if not all auto parts stores.

Also check the U-Joints as I had issues with my 04 @ 100k mileage range. Block the front wheels and Jack the rear axle and check the axles closely at the u joints. If you have to replace the U-Joints make sure you get the driveshaft balanced afterwards as you're guaranteed to be off. IF a dealer does it tell them beforehand you want the driveshaft balanced after replacement and if they say it's not necessary then leave and find a driveline service shop that does this stuff and does their balancing in house themselves.

When GM assembles those U joints and the axles they use a hi temp plastic to hold the U-joint cups and if you look how offset they are you can see that once replaced they will definitely need to be balanced. It's amazing when you're replace bad U-joints and have the driveshaft balanced how much smoother the vehicle will drive going down the road. Eliminated a lot of vibrations for me in the past.

Now with the winter roads we've had lately I have two more than likely go through my front end and will have to get an alignment when I put my new tires on as well. I know there's some parts down there that are bad because of the way the vehicle front tires are wearing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk