2019 Steering Weak Return To Center

My 2019 GMC Denali does the same thing, weak return to center. Wasn't noticeable in city driving but very annoying on trip up to Lake Placid. Sometimes the wheel wouldn't respond at all and it would steer right off the road if I didn't intervene. I've had it back to the dealer twice for the issue and the first time they said the alignment from the factory was "way off", castor/camber. The second time they said it was out again and aligned the toe-in. My next call is to GMC as it's a safety issue that needs to be corrected, expected more from a $70K truck.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I have a 2019 LT and notice that the steering almost feels like it has dead spots.  I don't notice it all the time but mostly if I drive down a road going mostly straight for a long distance at about 40 MPH.  At that point I can turn the wheel slightly to the right (sometimes to the left) and the steering will continue to track to the right or left and not return to center.  I have to physically move the steering wheel back to center to keep the truck going down the road straight.  I can also sometimes turn the wheel to go into a slight bend in the road and the truck will continue to track where I left it and not want to return to center which to me would logically happen because of physics laws.  What is odd that either stopping or stopping and turning the wheel to the full left and then full right or full right and then full left seems to "clear" this issue up for a short time.  I am not sure if something is resetting or what is going on.  I came from a '17 LT and like others described the steering always seemed to want to snap back to center.

I took the truck into the dealer about 6 months ago and they said they were not able to repeat the issue but I noticed it again almost immediately.  I have an appointment again next week to have them look at it but afraid they are going to say they are not able to see it again.  Am I imagining things or is there really something going on. I will say if this is normal it was not like this when I took delivery of it back in December of 2019 and started to notice it in about 4-5 months of ownership.  I don't like the way that it is steering.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, they had it back to day after the service manager rode with me and it didn't repeat.  Granted we only took it a short distance and it shows more on longer trips, but they checked the alignment and reprogrammed the steering or something today.  They want me to see if anything changes but before it was like something dropped out or shut off.

The manager did say if things continue they are going to have someone take it on an extended drive to see if they can have it happen to them.  It is just so frustrating because it is very obvious when it happens and throws no errors or shows when you want it to.

• 1 month later...

I've had the truck at the dealer a couple of times since I posted this and the issue is still there..it doesn't happen right away but after you drive a moderate distance straight with little variation right to left.  There is a road that I take to and from work where I travel for about 8 miles going straight with a little curve to the left and right.  This is where I  notice it the most.  I even took a video of it happening and presented it to the service advisor but they won't take anything like that as evidence.  The service tech according to them has to reproduce it to have them do anything.

The truck is there again today and I now being told that is how it is supposed to drive...I highly doubt that...the truck is supposed to continue to track to the right or left and defy the laws of physics and not want to continue to travel straight?  You can feel something drop out when this happens and then the steering becomes stiff almost like the power steering is gone.  If you stop at a light or make a 90 degree turn it seems to "reset".  This used go away for a long time but recently it seems too come back almost within a couple of minutes of the stop or turn.

Something isn't right and no one really want to believe me.