2019 Steering Weak Return To Center

Coming from a 16 k2 to a 19 trail boss I have noticed the 19 has a very week return to center on the steering. As in you go around a corner and you have to help the steering wheel back to center, it won't do it on it's own. My 16 would whip back to center very strongly and all I had to do was provide a little resistance to control the speed of the return.

I thought perhaps it was the trail boss suspension and duratrac tires causing it, but now that I have a 2.7 turbo LT with stock suspension and 17 in street tires as a loaner and it does the same thing.

Is this something there is a software update for somehow or it is what is and get used to it? I am not familiar with how they changed the steering design from 16 to 19

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Coming from a 16 k2 to a 19 trail boss I have noticed the 19 has a very week return to center on the steering. As in you go around a corner and you have to help the steering wheel back to center, it won't do it on it's own. My 16 would whip back to center very strongly and all I had to do was provide a little resistance to control the speed of the return.

I thought perhaps it was the trail boss suspension and duratrac tires causing it, but now that I have a 2.7 turbo LT with stock suspension and 17 in street tires as a loaner and it does the same thing.

Is this something there is a software update for somehow or it is what is and get used to it? I am not familiar with how they changed the steering design from 16 to 19

I would start back at your dealer and see what they tell you.

I have 6.2 LTZ and have never had that problem.  Steering feels normal. Perhaps dealer needs to an update
It's in the shop right now for the rear window leaking. I mentioned the steering to check for bulletins. See what they say.

The owners manual says if you put it in sports mode it changes the steering response. That is why I was curious if the weak steering feel was something that would be addressed in a software update. Seeing how two different truck I have driven do it, I don't think it's anything wrong with truck, just not very happy with the steering overall. I shouldn't have to help the steering wheel back to center every time I go around a corner.

On 4/8/2019 at 4:43 PM, ShamrockShooter said:

The owners manual says if you put it in sports mode it changes the steering response. That is why I was curious if the weak steering feel was something that would be addressed in a software update. Seeing how two different truck I have driven do it, I don't think it's anything wrong with truck, just not very happy with the steering overall. I shouldn't have to help the steering wheel back to center every time I go around a corner.

I think this will be more of an alignment issue possibly. Caster angle will affect the feeling you are describing. If they can dial in more positive caster and keep the rest of the alignment in spec you will see an improvement. 

Very common complaint from the 4Runner community I came from.  

Well I have driven my truck plus two brand new service loaners. They all feel to have weak slow speed steering assist. Every corner I go around I have to help the steering wheel back to center. If you let go of the wheel it starts to come back on it's own but not all the way. You need to help it back or you would drive off the road into the curb. So since it's pretty much the same on 3 different trucks, I guess it is just something to get used to vs my 16 I traded in.

I haven't noticed this myself. I went from a 16 to a 19, both z71. I do recall the 16 snapping right back, but haven't noticed anything about my 19. If anything it feels much smoother, but I've never had to assist it getting back to straight. I've only had it 3 weeks now, so I'm still getting used to it also. I'll pay attention this evening and see if it's like that on mine also.

3 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Well I have driven my truck plus two brand new service loaners. They all feel to have weak slow speed steering assist. Every corner I go around I have to help the steering wheel back to center. If you let go of the wheel it starts to come back on it's own but not all the way. You need to help it back or you would drive off the road into the curb. So since it's pretty much the same on 3 different trucks, I guess it is just something to get used to vs my 16 I traded in.

If the factory alignment specs are set that way they all will drive basically the same. 

I can tell you the 4Runner was exactly the same way stock.  I went to the alignment shop and asked them to set the caster "as close to 4 as possible" - I think they got a little over 3 and still aligned.  The difference was dramatic for the return to center.  This will change the position of the wheel in the fenderwell also so it could cause some rubbing issues.  You need to find a competent alignment tech.

The bit about sport mode changing the steering only changes the steering assist- it makes it harder to turn the wheel basically.

If the factory alignment specs are set that way they all will drive basically the same. 

I can tell you the 4Runner was exactly the same way stock.  I went to the alignment shop and asked them to set the caster "as close to 4 as possible" - I think they got a little over 3 and still aligned.  The difference was dramatic for the return to center.  This will change the position of the wheel in the fenderwell also so it could cause some rubbing issues.  You need to find a competent alignment tech.
The bit about sport mode changing the steering only changes the steering assist- it makes it harder to turn the wheel basically.
Good info. Did you notice any uneven tire wear on the 4 runner?

3 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Good info. Did you notice any uneven tire wear on the 4 runner?

Not really- the Duratracs cupped quite a bit and got noisy but that was over like 70,000 miles and they still had a lot of tread left!  The BFG's that were installed when I sold it were wearing like iron.

I had a 2.5"  / 1.5" lift as well.  Every aftermarket lift kit that was worth a darn increased the caster angle for those trucks to make the steering feel better.  

Not really- the Duratracs cupped quite a bit and got noisy but that was over like 70,000 miles and they still had a lot of tread left!  The BFG's that were installed when I sold it were wearing like iron.

I had a 2.5"  / 1.5" lift as well.  Every aftermarket lift kit that was worth a darn increased the caster angle for those trucks to make the steering feel better.  
If I ever get my truck back from my leaking window I'll might have to have the shop down the street do a quick alignment check.

Just now, ShamrockShooter said:

If I ever get my truck back from my leaking window I'll might have to have the shop down the street do a quick alignment check.

Yeah man- I feel so bad for you about that.  Hang in there- it must totally suck.