2019 Silverado High Country Instrument Cluster, Infotainment going blank at highway speeds

After 3 rear view cameras, a new grille and a multitude of electrical issues, I’m at a loss resolving the TONS of problems my first-run (August 2018) Silverado had. 

The most recent issue that’s taken me to the dealership now three times is the weirdest thing:

I’m driving down the highway and suddenly, without warning, all of the LCD display-driven components go blank, all of my settings get deleted, AND (get this) my driver’s seat rolls right up to the steering wheel. 

Of course, NONE of the times I take it to the dealership can it repeat the problem...they do, however, are able to see that all of my settings are deleted, as of the truck just randomly reset itself...

However, the folks at Chevy customer support have been less than helpful, denying my request for a buy-back or MSRP swap for the same truck further down the production cycle. 

Imagine you paid $70,000 for a truck you can’t put your children in, because you don’t want to get in an accident after the ENTIRE gauge cluster craps out AND the seat smashes you up against the steering wheel. 

Chevrolet used to be a whole lot better with their customers...I’ve bought 12 brand new ones over the past 8 years...heartbreaking that I can’t get any resolution...

Anyone else have have a similar problem?

34 minutes ago, Cwalker said:

After 3 rear view cameras, a new grille and a multitude of electrical issues, I’m at a loss resolving the TONS of problems my first-run (August 2018) Silverado had. 

The most recent issue that’s taken me to the dealership now three times is the weirdest thing:

I’m driving down the highway and suddenly, without warning, all of the LCD display-driven components go blank, all of my settings get deleted, AND (get this) my driver’s seat rolls right up to the steering wheel. 

Of course, NONE of the times I take it to the dealership can it repeat the problem...they do, however, are able to see that all of my settings are deleted, as of the truck just randomly reset itself...

However, the folks at Chevy customer support have been less than helpful, denying my request for a buy-back or MSRP swap for the same truck further down the production cycle. 

Imagine you paid $70,000 for a truck you can’t put your children in, because you don’t want to get in an accident after the ENTIRE gauge cluster craps out AND the seat smashes you up against the steering wheel. 

Chevrolet used to be a whole lot better with their customers...I’ve bought 12 brand new ones over the past 8 years...heartbreaking that I can’t get any resolution...

Anyone else have have a similar problem?

There have been many similiar electrical / software / Hardware problems associated with the trucks. The DIC has been known to blank out and a software fix has been made available to the dealerships. The infotainment units have blacked out [No display] to having the display on but no sound coming out of audio components. Software updates [OTA] are L206, V507, V509 and the latest V803. [Apply to the 8" units I believe]. Connecting Trailers to the connectors on the back of the truck often result in spurious disconnections alerts [Trailer still connected]. Software update applied from dealership and it appears to be working, but some users are still watching closely. Brakes seem to fail causing minimum braking and causing other electrical alerts which might be due to the new Brake controller. Software update released but the dealerships have replaced the Integrated Brake Assembly. Some of the Safety features like LKA, FCA etc fail to work due to the front windshield camera being misaligned. Their have been reports of the Oil Cooler lines breaking at the coupler crimp and causing the oil pan to empty out. Climate controls via the Infotainment unit do not work and indicates the control is OFF while the Climate Control is actually working. The hardware buttons operate the system like it should. The rear power slider window is known to have a crack in the frame of models built before Oct 2018 causing water to leak into the interior. There is a bulletin out to fix it. The SD card for the Navigation system has been known to error out and a software update has been issued. Ensure the dealership has issued all downloads for your vehicle. Make sure you make note of all your problems and review your State's Lemon Law. Keep us informed please.

Thanks Rocz3cqg for the reply. 

I was first approved for a buyback, then on Monday got the call that I was denied.  Tuesday, I head off to work only to have the truck do it again. I drove it straight to my local dealer and they mentioned these service bulletins. Get this - the truck won’t take the software updates.

Again - this is 100% a safety issue for me and

my family. I have a 2 month old daughter and 4 year old son that now can’t ride with me anywhere. It’s going to be hard to explain to folks that Chevrolet didn’t think that the seat smashing me against the steering wheel while trying to maintain control at highway speeds was a real big deal if something happens to my children in an accident. 

Forget the paint flaws, peeling paint on the grille, the three taillight cameras and countless software issues I’ve dealt with since November...it’s about the safety of my family. 

I suppose I’ll just have to park this 70,000 pickup and let it rot since I can’t get any solid resolution aside from a “you can just trade it in if you don’t like it” response from GM Customer Service. 

Ill certainly keep y’all updated as this progresses. I’m not a “post on forums” guy, just a lurker...but I figured y’all would like to know what’s up.

Lemon Law for North Carolina if you have not reviewed it.

Lemon Law

The North Carolina Lemon Law, also known as the New Motor Vehicles Warranties Act (N.C.G.S. 20-351), applies to new passenger cars, pick-up trucks, motorcycles and most vans bought in North Carolina. It requires manufacturers to repair defects that affect the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first). 

Your car may be covered by the Lemon Law if all of the following have happened:
  • The problem occurs in some part of the vehicle that is covered by the manufacturer's warranty and you are within the warranty period. It does not need to be something that keeps you from being able to drive the car. For example, faulty air conditioning or peeling paint could be considered defects under the Lemon Law.
  • You tell the manufacturer about the problem in writing and give them a reasonable period, but not more than 15 days, to fix it.  
  • The manufacturer makes “a reasonable number of attempts” to fix the vehicle. This means that the car has been repaired for the same problem four or more times, or that it has been out of service a cumulative total of 20 or more business days during a 12 month period of the warranty.  
  • The manufacturers’ efforts to fix the vehicle fail. Under the law, they must either replace your car or buy it back. You get to decide between a comparable new car and a refund.

It is a good idea to read your warranty to find out what kind of remedies your manufacturer might offer outside of the Lemon Law.

Your rights under the Lemon Law:
If the manufacturer hasn’t fixed your car after a reasonable number of attempts, you are entitled to choose a comparable new replacement vehicle, or a refund. The law does not spell out what a comparable new replacement vehicle is, though it would most likely be an identical make and model.

If your car is a lemon, you are entitled to a refund of:
  • The full contract price including, but not limited to, charges for undercoating, dealer-preparation and installed options, plus the non-refundable portions of extended warranties and service contracts.
  • All upfront charges, including but not limited to, sales tax, license and registration fees.
  • All finance charges you incurred after you first reported the problem to the manufacturer, or authorized dealer.
  • Any incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for your use of the vehicle. 

Under the law, the refund is reduced by a “reasonable allowance” for your use of the vehicle. The following formula is used to calculate the refund:

Amount to be Refunded =

Purchase Price  -   (Number of miles driven by the consumer  X  Purchase Price)

What About Disputes?
Many auto manufacturers have dispute resolution programs for customers with warranty problems. Some require you to use these programs before you go to court. Read your warranty for more information. You may also wish to see if the Better Business Bureau's dispute resolution service can help, or consider seeking advice from a private attorney.                

We Can Help
If you have a complaint about new car warranties contact us for help or call toll free within North Carolina at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM.

Thanks for the help navigating a resolution with my Silverado...I love this model truck, but the electronic and safety issues on this particular unit is crazy. 

So after the issues popped back up the day after Chevrolet denied my buy-back claim, the very helpful folks at the dealership recommended I push harder at GM Customer service...so I did. I also consulted the NC Attorney General and have been instructed to find a lawyer to help me navigate the murky waters. 

I really don’t want to go this route. Honestly, I’m super loyal to Chevrolet, and I appreciate everyone who’s concerned and following along with my drama-truck. 

I’ve attached a pic of the latest thing the MyLink system is doing while I’m driving...”system is starting” message that randomly pops up on highway speeds. 

BFF7ADD7-4A25-4CED-AF55-DF8983BD880C.jpeg

I get the same screen at startup every morning. Normally only get it after the truck has been parked several hours. Did yours start there and progress? After all the updates, I am a block or two down the road before all systems are working. 

I still say Chevy has fixed very little, just covering up the issues. I am waiting a few months, trying to give Chevy a chance to fix mine.