Wiring Question

Got my light bar and pods with amber DRL’s installed, all the wiring zip tied and for my first install I’m proud to say it came out pretty clean thanks all the help on this forum!

After work today I’m going to install my new grille on my 2009 Silverado. I got 4 amber marker lights to put in the grille I went with 4 so it’s a little different than the raptor style look which is 3. I think when they are on with my amber DRLs in my light bar and pods it’ll look awesome.

Most people who ran these just spliced them into the marker/parking light circuits but on my Silverado they only come on at night so I want to wire them with one of this little red round toggle switches. 

What’s the best way to wire these with a switch? The light bar and pods were straight forward for me, this is a little bit more custom. A brief explanation should be fine I don’t need any wiring diagram or anything. Just not sure how to wire this up exactly with a switch. Splicing it into my parking lights was self explanatory I’m just lost when it comes to wiring them up without splicing into the parking lights. I just want to give them power and also a switch. 

to wire up to turn on anytime and stay on - wire to constant 12v, to wire up to turn when vehicle is on and shut off when vehicle shuts off - use accessory power. make sure to fuse any source you utilize. 

the use of a relay is to connect the power to the new lights your adding, the switch that you want to mount to your dash triggers the relay to provide the power to turn on the lights.

if you do not use a relay, the power source you tag on to draws more current than it is designed for which could(but not in most cases) blow fuses or cause heat and melt shielding. i do hope you are using a relay. 

Edited by Ak_grown
spelling

I’m not an expert by no means of wiring (zapped myself plenty of times) but if you spliced them in with your parking lights doesn’t the OEM switch for all your lights just have a parking light selection that you would be able to run them off of so you would be able to run them whenever? Or you could just wire them into something so they have power and then have your own toggle switch ??‍♂️ Again I really have no clue what I’m talking about 

6 minutes ago, Ak_grown said:

to wire up to turn on anytime and stay on - wire to constant 12v, to wire up to turn when vehicle is on and shut off when vehicle shuts off - use accessory power. make sure to fuse any source you utilize. 

Sweet I’ll use an add a circuit and do it this way! 

3 minutes ago, Huggy16 said:

I’m not an expert by no means of wiring (zapped myself plenty of times) but if you spliced them in with your parking lights doesn’t the OEM switch for all your lights just have a parking light selection that you would be able to run them off of so you would be able to run them whenever? Or you could just wire them into something so they have power and then have your own toggle switch ??‍♂️ Again I really have no clue what I’m talking about 

You are correct actually. I just wanted my own separate switch for whatever reason.