Sidewall cracking

MDayMN

Been noticing the sidewalls of my factory tires starting to crack and now bulge a little bit.  These are the factory 22” Bridgestone Duelers with about 38k miles on them. 

Safety issue or normal for these tires?

B514CCB6-BCC4-43A8-8266-171DF522A2F7.jpeg

• Like 1

Been noticing the sidewalls of my factory tires starting to crack and now bulge a little bit.  These are the factory 22” Bridgestone Duelers with about 38k miles on them. 

B514CCB6-BCC4-43A8-8266-171DF522A2F7.thumb.jpeg.4aaae9b45257401ef91dbdcb0867fe7b.jpeg
Mine are doing the same exact thing but not that bad. Mine are on my 2016 rally 2 edition with 30k on it. Thinking of going with 285 55 22 nitto (g2 or ridge grappler). I have a 2.25 level. I am only hesitant because I have 2 sets of nitto terra grapplers "g1" tires that are about 7 yrs old and the cracking on them is NUTS. Nice tires but wow..

Wondering if chemicals in tire shine have anything to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Interesting that someone else has it too...maybe you're right about the tire shine chemicals.   

I stopped at the dealer today and they weren't interested in doing anything about it, but then I went to Discount Tire and they called up Bridgestone while I was waiting and got authorization for a 20% credit on a new set of tires from any brand.  I'm debating between the Terra Grappler G2 or the Continental Terrain Contact A/T's now, pretty tough decision especially with the 20% credit they offered. 

• Like 1

Interesting that someone else has it too...maybe you're right about the tire shine chemicals.   

I stopped at the dealer today and they weren't interested in doing anything about it, but then I went to Discount Tire and they called up Bridgestone while I was waiting and got authorization for a 20% credit on a new set of tires from any brand.  I'm debating between the Terra Grappler G2 or the Continental Terrain Contact A/T's now, pretty tough decision especially with the 20% credit they offered. 
Wow 20% is sweet. I dont have any stores near me unfortunately. Here are pics of mine that I just took. Again.. only 3 yrs and 30k miles..21e4748af4b8d95e870adcb0d15b00d1.jpg8d47c2a4fb1611b6fafabbff44349c49.jpgae70b3ac9c79a53bcf82ba95c1a88c16.jpg

B514CCB6-BCC4-43A8-8266-171DF522A2F7.thumb.jpeg.4aaae9b45257401ef91dbdcb0867fe7b.jpeg

It’s a major safety concern, they’re ticking time bombs. This is why I always recommend to ditch the oem tires and shocks, I’d get rid of them ASAP! If you’re looking for all season tires I’d look at Michelin Defenders, smooth excellent riding tires that are now designed to handle more power and torque from newer trucks. Excellent tire!

Sent from above

Do you have confirmation from bridgestone on the discount? Wonder if i could get one as well.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, MDayMN said:

B514CCB6-BCC4-43A8-8266-171DF522A2F7.jpeg

With the placement and size of those cracks, I'd call that a safety issue aka pending tire failure with the clock ticking.  

18 hours ago, acinquegrana said:

Wow 20% is sweet. I dont have any stores near me unfortunately. Here are pics of mine that I just took. Again.. only 3 yrs and 30k miles..21e4748af4b8d95e870adcb0d15b00d1.jpg8d47c2a4fb1611b6fafabbff44349c49.jpgae70b3ac9c79a53bcf82ba95c1a88c16.jpg

I drove my Dueler RH-S's for 76k miles.  Had these type of small cracks starting about 30K miles, first in the tread and later around the bead.  At the end of their life, the cracks were much more significant than the ones shown here.  Drove it in 110F heat and -15F cold, over ice and snow and bad potholes, etc., with several trips up to the ~97mph speed governor.  Never got any worse or had any blowouts or flats.  So in my experience, this type of small crack shown here is a non-issue.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

It’s a major safety concern, they’re ticking time bombs. This is why I always recommend to ditch the oem tires and shocks, I’d get rid of them ASAP! If you’re looking for all season tires I’d look at Michelin Defenders, smooth excellent riding tires that are now designed to handle more power and torque from newer trucks. Excellent tire!

Sent from above

Yet another IGMO screams "Ditch the OEM tires and shocks!!" from the hilltops.  

Or not . . . 

Whoops, Michelin makes factory OEM tires for Silverados and Sierras, just like Goodyear and Bridgestone.  With the TPC code stamped right on the sidewall.  Guess you'll have to only drive Coopers then, using your logic, as they are the only manufacturer that doesn't have their tires factory installed anywhere.  

Go ahead and rip off those GM struts and shocks.  And probably replace them with Monroe (made by Tenneco) or Rancho brand.  [Because that's who made the factory ones in the first place.]  

I drove my Dueler RH-S's for 76k miles.  Had these type of small cracks starting about 30K miles, first in the tread and later around the bead.  At the end of their life, the cracks were much more significant than the ones shown here.  Drove it in 110F heat and -15F cold, over ice and snow and bad potholes, etc., with several trips up to the ~97mph speed governor.  Never got any worse or had any blowouts or flats.  So in my experience, this type of small crack shown here is a non-issue.  
Thats good to know!

23 hours ago, acinquegrana said:

Do you have confirmation from bridgestone on the discount? Wonder if i could get one as well.

It’s a case by case type of thing. Any tire dealer could call Bridgestone customer service and see if they can get you a similar credit.  They might not all take the time like Discount Tire did, though. 

I decided to take them up on the offer and get a set of the Continental’s, to be installed tomorrow. I figure I needed new tires by next winter anyways, and my family’s safety is worth more than a grand.  

I’ll post pics once they’re on!  Appreciate everyone’s input. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

22" tire.  Same mileage (24k miles) as of today, cracking around the rim and what looks to be compression cracks along the wall of each tire.  There also appears to be some distortion in the tire as well.  Will contact Bridgestone because it is a safety issue.  If that doesn't work out, I will submit a safety complaint to the DOT.  My truck has been garage kept since purchase and all maintenance completed at my local dealership... including tire rotation etc.