Power tailgate won't open

I have found that I’m having the same issue an working on it I found that there is a design flaw in the system the rods that allow the latches to open paired with the slots they connect into are allowing for to much play not allowing the system to operate properly. I have video of this. Mind you it is at 10 at night but it proves my theory. 

If the actuator is working but the cover is limiting the fall of the tailgate then I’d take it back to the crew who installed it. If you want to avoid that hassle there should be a rail clamp at the rear. Loosen and slightly raise the rail 1/16 to 1/8th. Tighten the clamp and retry. Do both sides as unlikely one side alone is the culprit.

• 1 month later...

Folks, agree that something in the GMC/Chevy design isn't working well.  I have a 2019 Silverado 1500 with a soft tonneau cover top as well.  Only thing touching the tailgate is the light rubber flap that rests on top why the tailgate is closed.  I can hear the actuator work.  After my 4th visit to the dealer, they replace the actuator.  But at times it still cycles, moves about 1/8th of an inch, but doesn't unlock. I'm "blessed" with whenever I take it into the dealer, it works for them and a short period at home.  Once I tried for 30 minutes to unlock the tailgate with no luck.  There is no manual override, so your essentially without any ability to have access to the truck bed.  I've tried lubricate on both the underside of the tonneau flap, as well as the hinge pivot points, and locking mechanize.  Nothing seems to be a long term fix.  I'm really open for suggestions.

• 1 year later...
On 8/30/2019 at 11:36 AM, BlancoSilverado said:

Please let me know what they do to "fix it", mine is doing the same thing. After a few months and lubing the ****** out of it i realigned it to the bed and still i have to pull it slightly or "open" it twice to have it drop. 

Any help?!!

• Confused 1