Power tailgate won't open

19 hours ago, Windmill Greaser said:

Dealer installed trifold box cover and now power tailgate won't open due to the pressure of cover to tailgate. Anyone else have similar issue and fix please ? 

most tonneau covers have the ability to loosen the tension/downforce on the rear fasteners. Look at the fasteners on the back, are they spring loaded?

what brand tonneau cover do you have?

The dealer installed the hard tri-fold Fold-a-cover on my truck. The weather seal that rests on top of the tailgate does interfere with the operation and have the same issue. If you raise the latch so it does not interfere, the cover does not sit flush and sits up at a goofy angle and defeats the purpose of the weatherstrip. Perhaps there is a happy medium in the adjustment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Michael621 said:

The dealer installed the hard tri-fold Fold-a-cover on my truck. The weather seal that rests on top of the tailgate does interfere with the operation and have the same issue. If you raise the latch so it does not interfere, the cover does not sit flush and sits up at a goofy angle and defeats the purpose of the weatherstrip. Perhaps there is a happy medium in the adjustment.

Yeah hopefully. I think you're going to end up with having to pick one or the other. Personally, I choose a waterproof bed.

• Like 3

I have the Undercover Ultra Flex cover on my Trailboss and it took a slight adjust initially to get the tailgate to open automatically.  It works great now and no leaking

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Michael621 said:

Maybe the cover is mounted too far back?

On my BAK cover the weather seal only partly sits on top of the gate at the front edge.  It hangs down a bit from the cover so the gate pushes into it slightly on raise.  The gate doesn't try to squeeze under the seal.

Not sure about your cover but that seal design made perfect sense for allowing the cover to close onto the gate or the gate to close with the cover down.  I was impressed how simple the answer was after my old BAK cover that had to be open to close the gate.

-Daver

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daverado said:

Maybe the cover is mounted too far back?

On my BAK cover the weather seal only partly sits on top of the gate at the front edge.  It hangs down a bit from the cover so the gate pushes into it slightly on raise.  The gate doesn't try to squeeze under the seal.

Not sure about your cover but that seal design made perfect sense for allowing the cover to close onto the gate or the gate to close with the cover down.  I was impressed how simple the answer was after my old BAK cover that had to be open to close the gate.

-Daver

Thank you for the hopeful suggestions, I will tinker with it this weekend!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just installed a Access Lorado and the E tailgate will not open. The cover is high enough so that the excess vynal flap is the only impediment. I raised the rear rails higher, but it looks jacked up at that point. I have not had time to play with it more, yet. I'm determined to have it installed flush and have the e tailgate work. I'll follow up.

I have the GM tri-fold soft tonneau cover, and the pressure when fastened prevents the tailgate from opening on its own. So I don't use the inside button, I just use either the fob or tailgate button and tug on it as it unlatches. I see it as a trade-off for keeping the bed covered & dry. If I'm hauling stuff I usually have the cover folded open so then it's a non-issue.

My tailgate keeps getting stuck.

Can hear the actuator working, but nothing happens.

I have no cover or bed liner at all.

It's at the dealership for this now, and this is the second time it's doing it.

Took a video of it and sent it to the foreman.

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss

16 hours ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

My tailgate keeps getting stuck.

Can hear the actuator working, but nothing happens.

I have no cover or bed liner at all.

It's at the dealership for this now, and this is the second time it's doing it.

Took a video of it and sent it to the foreman.

Please let me know what they do to "fix it", mine is doing the same thing. After a few months and lubing the sh!t out of it i realigned it to the bed and still i have to pull it slightly or "open" it twice to have it drop. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/30/2019 at 4:06 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

Please let me know what they do to "fix it", mine is doing the same thing. After a few months and lubing the sh!t out of it i realigned it to the bed and still i have to pull it slightly or "open" it twice to have it drop. 

I have this issue right now. Brought it to the garage and they blamed it on the tonneau cover. But it even happens without the tonneau. Tried explaining that to them but they continued to put blame on the cover. Basically, they didn’t have a clue what to do so blame it on that I guess. Did you figure out what the cause was?