Service Safety Restraint System Light on Dash

I have a 2020 Silverado and at about 450 miles, I started getting the intermittent service safety restraint system warning. The dealership replaced the clock spring wire in the steering wheel assembly after noting abnormal resistance in the circuit when the wheel was turned. I have only driven three short trips, but have not seen the light again, yet. There is a thread about this on a Yukon Tahoe owners forum and others have experienced the same but have been through other attempted remedies, some of which have been apartment red herrings. This seems to be a very real issue among these vehicles and I hope that there’s not some larger underlying problem like all the electronics overloading the wiring. I’ll post updates on the “fix” here As this and the aforementioned forum are the only places I’ve seen this problem referenced. 

I bought a 2021 Yukon XL slt in St Louis and drove it home to Colorado this week. At about 500 miles in the service safety restraint system warning light and airbag lights came on for the first time. Initially it would happen every 30 minutes or so but now after 1000 miles and getting home it can sometimes happen 5 times in a minute. Totally infuriating at this point! Can't book an appointment at any gmc dealership in the next week. GM really need to figure this out quickly or they'll have blood on their hands when someone gets into an accident and their airbags don't deploy. 

On 9/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, nfly said:

I bought a 2021 Tahoe Premiere, and I began getting the "Service Safety Restraint System" message at just over 450 miles. It started two days ago, and I see it 2-3 times, every time I start the vehicle (6 times since Monday.)

I just got a 21 Tahoe Premiere also. same problem started at about 100 miles in. Comes on, goes off but it beeps every time. This is not good. 

Seems like EVERYONE who has had this issue, has had vehicle in multiples times with NO known fix. Everything attempted by dealer/service/GM, is not solving the issue thus far. BEWARE. This is treading in lemon law territory and FOR DRIVER SIDE AIR-BAG RELATED MALFUNCTIONS. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/service-safety-restraint-system-error.120501/

Edited by InventorTechie

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, my Yukon Denali is 3 weeks old.  This warning has come on at least 300x times for me now.  Sometimes it is 50x in 10 minutes, other times it doesn't come on. Dealer said to me there is a GM bulletin about it and my car does have an error code, but they can't fix it without a software update that hasn't been sent out.  For an 82000 vehicle, this better get fixed soon. Makes driving very annoying.  I'm honestly not sure the dealer has any clue on how to fix it.  Might try another dealership.

Edited by Frankdp23

I had my 2020 Trail Boss into my dealership yesterday and what they are telling me is that a "coil" part, associated with the Air Bag safety mechanism, needs to be replaced.  They have to order the part and there would be no ETA on the arrival as well.  It took them a couple of hours to diagnose it, so hopefully they truly know what the issue is.  Just as annoying is after the tech put my steering column back together, there is now a loose rattling piece within the steering column when making turns.  So annoyed with this new truck experience so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2018 Sierra.  I brought my truck to the dealer TWICE for this, and it just went on a third time today!  First repair was unknown, it just started working.  Second, they repaired a faulty sensing module under warranty.  Time to bring it in again, this time it IS NOT under warranty and I'm going to fight this!  Redic!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATED BELOW IN SEPARATE POST_

I have had mine (2021 AT4) less than a week does it incessantly..... BUT_ HANG ON,

I did find this: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/09/2021-chevy-tahoe-suburban-owners-experience-issues-with-underseat-wiring/

I talked to the folks today at my dealership and the IT/tech guy told me he knows what's wrong and can fix it- if the seat thing doesn't work he says he can reload the software to the airbags in 5 min.... I'll keep you posted.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/09/2021-chevy-tahoe-suburban-owners-experience-issues-with-underseat-wiring/

Edited by Thomas-GM_FOR_LIFE
update

I purchased a new 2020 LT Trail Boss about 4 weeks ago and this issue started almost immediately.  The dealership diagnosed the problem to be the steering wheel clock spring within a few hours and informed me that the part was on national backorder -- not a good sign.  The part came in about 1.5-2 weeks later and was replaced on Monday this week (11/30).  I have been driving the truck all week with no issues until this evening.  Unbelievable to me that a fix for this issue seems to be so elusive.  I love this truck but wow is this disappointing.  

SO to follow up on my post- I took mine in and after a few hours of them making phone calls and checking things out- GM corporate told them it was the Steering wheel and airbag- and that it would need a new set. parts on back order for 3 weeks- apparently they have a lot of them to replace. I talked to them about the safety and asked if they could guarantee that the system would work, and they got on the horn to GM again- IT was decided that they shouldn't let me leave with the truck since they couldn't guarantee my safety. Now I'm in a little 4 cylinder buick until the part comes in and is safety tested. No truck during deer season and christmas- can't haul or tow anything, can't get to the ranch without 4WD either... FRUSTRATING! 

So the second attempt to fix my issue has failed.  This time, the dealership service told me the disassembled and reassembled all the parts and wiring associated with the first fix and all was now good.  It failed within 24 hours and less than 20 miles of driving.  I have an appointment tomorrow for the 3rd attempt for a fix.

According to Virginia lemon laws, your vehicle may be considered a lemon if one of the following circumstances exists within the first 18 months of ownership:

1) 3 unsuccessful attempts to fix a problem (1 unsuccessful attempt away)

2) 1 unsuccessful attempt to fix a problem that presents a serious safety hazard (I'd say I already fall into this category)

3) Vehicle out of service for 30 or more days (I'm at about 3+ weeks already)

I have already started a case thru the BBB.  In VA, if a manufacturer participates with the BBB in trying to resolve these cases, you must first go thru them.  It seems pretty cut and dry but I'm sure it won't be.  

What is most irritating, is that I've had this $50k+ truck for just over 4 weeks and this issue still isn't resolved.  And if a loaner vehicle is even available while being serviced, I'll get some tiny POS to drive in the place of my significantly larger, nicer, more comfortable truck.  

Does anyone know if it would do any good to call GM/Chevy customer service about this situation?

My service guy informed me this morning that they were working with techs from GM and determined that the driver's airbag needs to be replaced.  Seems like a shot in the dark but we'll see.  I was told they would have the airbag in 5 days.

Edited by PaulieZ

On 10/20/2020 at 10:33 AM, Moustafa said:

I had my 2020 Trail Boss into my dealership yesterday and what they are telling me is that a "coil" part, associated with the Air Bag safety mechanism, needs to be replaced.  They have to order the part and there would be no ETA on the arrival as well.  It took them a couple of hours to diagnose it, so hopefully they truly know what the issue is.  Just as annoying is after the tech put my steering column back together, there is now a loose rattling piece within the steering column when making turns.  So annoyed with this new truck experience so far.

Did that do the trick?