Service Safety Restraint System Light on Dash

I started getting a warning on my dash every time I drive my truck "Service Safety Restraint System" and the AirBag light is ON. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, I did some searching, but never seen a conclusive fix. I saw an old thread that looked like a witch hunt of replacing sensors and modules but the light kept coming on. Curious if anyone else is seeing this, and what the fix was?

• 5 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 9:15 AM, worldaccordingtojim said:

I started getting a warning on my dash every time I drive my truck "Service Safety Restraint System" and the AirBag light is ON. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, I did some searching, but never seen a conclusive fix. I saw an old thread that looked like a witch hunt of replacing sensors and modules but the light kept coming on. Curious if anyone else is seeing this, and what the fix was?

I'm having the same issues safety restraints air bag and stabalink lights 

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a 2019 Canyon having the same issue, PLUS every now and then it will say my hood is open and my radio dimmer is out of wack.  The radio will illuminate to day and dim to night modes randomly.  And just tonight on the way home from work all the lights, including headlight went out for a full second. 

• 2 weeks later...

I took my truck into dealer for this exact issue. Sometimes it would go off 5 times in 10 seconds. Sometimes not 5 times in 5 days. Dealer got truck - said it was front passenger seatbelt pre-tensioner.  They had to order and replace the whole seatbelt. Ok. Couple weeks waiting for it to arrive then get changed. Got that done. Happened again. Took it back to dealer - Dec 10th. I haven’t seen my truck since. 

• 4 weeks later...

Brought mine in today for this issue. Mine only came on once but I figured what the heck that is what my warranty is for. They did notice the code and checked everything out. They told me I had a rear sensor that malfunctioned and would order a new one just incase it happended again and will install it. I told them it went off about a week ago and never came back on. They honestly said these things are full of sensors everywhere. Also had another recall/re-program for brake system issue. Hope this little bit of info helps someone else. 

• 6 months later...

I just purchased a 2020 Silverado 3 weeks ago.  It only had 500 miles when this started happening.  It happened about 10-15 times over the course of 5 days.  It will come on, stay on for about 3 seconds, then go away.  I called the dealership and brought it in but they said there were no codes and they couldn't replicate the issue.  The very same night it happened again twice.

I dont really know what to do.  I took a photo and showed the dealership but on the service receipt they said its "working as intended'.  Im very upset I am having this issue so early into owning this vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought 2020 AT4 Carbon Pro Diesel and at roughly 500 miles I am having the same issue.  Took into dealer and they said they didn't read any codes.  Next day after picking up truck I got the service system chime and light 30 times in 5 minutes.  Time to step up GM these dealers are acting like its the first they have heard of it.

Every instance without exception when the warning lights come on, the ECM should record it and set a code.  GM simply chooses to not incorporate this logic into their software so they can send you down the road with their patented “cannot duplicate, functions as intended” response.

Edited by 1997SierraSLT
  • Like 2

My 2020 AT4 2500 has 1,400 miles on it.  The SRS message and airbag light goes on for 2-3 seconds then off again.  Appears to happen with change of direction (turning, backing out of parking spot, etc.). No error when driving down expressway, without quick lane chages.

Dealer stated that their experience was a sensor in the passenger front wheel area. They confirmed, but the part is on backorder and might take 1-3+ weeks to get.

• Like 1

Bought 2020 Sierra 1500 this past saturday and started seeing the Service restraint Error on wednesday with only 345 miles on the truck, happened about 6 time in 3 minutes and again off and on all day thursday, bringing in on Saturday. I hope they can find something but after reading this wondering it they will or not.