Trucks Shuts Off!

I had this problem on my 2016 Sierra, someone said to Google G218. I did. I cleaned the dash grounds and replaced the negative cable off the battery. I also took a grinder and totally cleaned where the cable connects in the passenger wheel well and then sprayed it with undercoating. My truck hasn't shut off since.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2019 at 10:52 AM, BWH said:

My truck is "shutting off" while driving! It is typically at low speeds while making a turn or putting car back in gear from a stop. The power steering locks up & I loose all power. This is extremely dangerous, I have read several other reports of this happening. A stabilitrak message appears, then says to lower driver side window upon restart. The radio is reset to like 87.7 (the default station), as if you had dis/reconnected the battery.

image.png

Did anyone find a solution to this? I’m experiencing this exact issue.

I’ve had this issue as well, except mine almost killed me! I just replaced the alternator and battery about 2 months ago and out of the blue it dies mid drive on the highway during rush hour going 75 mph. Lost all power and no power steering and almost crashed head on into a guard rail. The battery and alternator are brand new and this will be the third brand new battery I have put in it so there has to be another underlying issue that I am not seeing, if anyone has any insight on this please let me know. I have always been a Chevy guy but I also had this same issue with my 2011 Camaro. Chevy is t doing me justice right now

• 6 months later...

What a great forum!  My 2018 Sierra Denali has been experiencing these issues for some time, but it's been so intermittent I've been afraid if I take it in, they won't find anything and look at me like I'm some crazy lady LOL   I lost the steering twice the other night, fortunately while going slow, AND the truck totally shut down (vs shut off) as I pulled into a parking space.  She's going in Wed and I'm going to mention this G218 and the negative battery cable for them to look at.  It's still under warranty, so crossing everything that fixes it!  

2 hours ago, TracisArk said:

She's going in Wed and I'm going to mention this G218 and the negative battery cable for them to look at. 

I was under the impression that this mostly affected 2014-15 and was pretty much a non issue on later models. The negative battery cable is definitely something to get checked though. There is also a main ground on passenger side rear of the front wheel well. It has been found that it is sometimes not cleaned properly from where frame was coated before ground is attached and this causes a poor ground. It can be removed and mounting spot cleaned and scuffed as well as connector on ground wire. Reattach and then just have coating applied over it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 Silverado LT 4x4 lifted 6” with 35” tires. I had this happen to me back in November of 2023 and after investigating it pointed me to my throttle body. I replaced with a GM OEM and everything worked fine. Recently I’ve had the same issues( truck shutting down, steering wheel locking up, the stabilitrac message as well as a power steering message that says drive with care). After more research, everything is talking about the power steering assist motor/module located on the racket pinion. I’m gonna look into the faulty grounds but very close to taking it to the dealer??

I’ve checked my ECM for codes and it says I have no codes. At this point, I’m a little concerned about driving it