Pre-Owned Certified

I bought a '17 3500 Silverado on Memorial Day (May 27, 2019) from a dealer in Virginia and drove it home to PA. It is GM pre-owned certified. This morning, I took it to my local dealer because the EGR coolant inlet pipe was dripping at the weld on the pipe (TSB PIP5487C). The PA dealer ran the pipe to see how it should be covered and found it would normally fall under the bumper to bumper. He called me to say that the pre-owned certification had not been processed by GM yet and could take at least another week. I'm told that in the meantime I could either pay out of pocket and "hope" for a reimbursement from GM once the warranty finally processes through their system (this was not recommended by my dealer) OR I'd have to come back after the warranty was processed so it would be covered. So my choices are, pay and maybe never see the money again or keep driving a truck with a coolant leak until GM gets their crap together. Has anyone else had to have pre-owned certified warranty work done shortly after buying a "certified" truck from a dealer and struggled since the certification wasn't "done" yet? Makes absolutely no sense to me.  I took the day to take the truck to the dealer, it's sitting there now, and I want it back fixed, without having to pay for repairs since I already paid for the truck with the warranty included! I also don't want to take another full day taking it back to the dealer again after the warranty comes into effect. GM just needs to step up and make this issue go away.

8 minutes ago, sailtexas said:

There is a recall out on that issue. I got one for my 2016 Sierra 2500 HD .

It's not a recall, it's a technical service bulletin.  Those are 2 very different things.  Either way, Turner Buick/GMC just came through for me.  They're going to make the repair and deal with the Virginia dealer if there's an issue.

5 hours ago, enroberts said:

It's not a recall, it's a technical service bulletin.  Those are 2 very different things.  Either way, Turner Buick/GMC just came through for me.  They're going to make the repair and deal with the Virginia dealer if there's an issue.

Don't think it is GM dragging their feet, but the dealer that you bought it from.

They are the one who has to sign off on it being a CPO vehicle. 139 point inspection if I remember right, if it has the right miles and the year is within range.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

Bought a certified pre owned 2016 2500hd in March and the dealer told me the GM certified pre owned 1 year 12000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (I think thats the correct pre owned warranty gm gives) was good from the day I bought it. Didn't have any problems til April with the def but no warranty issues when I took it in either. It should be from the date purchased. My credit union wouldn't even finish the financing paperwork until the dealer sent the certified paperwork over

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Tx_operator87 said:

Bought a certified pre owned 2016 2500hd in March and the dealer told me the GM certified pre owned 1 year 12000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (I think thats the correct pre owned warranty gm gives) was good from the day I bought it. Didn't have any problems til April with the def but no warranty issues when I took it in either. It should be from the date purchased. My credit union wouldn't even finish the financing paperwork until the dealer sent the certified paperwork over

Probably does not apply now, but when the program started it extended warranty to 39 months or 39000miles from original date of purchase.

And you were able to get better rates on financing because of the CPO being attached to the car/truck, that is why you need the documents from the dealer that goes to GM.

Probably does not apply now, but when the program started it extended warranty to 39 months or 39000miles from original date of purchase.

And you were able to get better rates on financing because of the CPO being attached to the car/truck, that is why you need the documents from the dealer that goes to GM.
Yea that would have been nice to tack on 39k more miles, but I've got that almost already with how much powertrain is left. The CPO didn't help me with the financing though, I was already pre approved through my credit union and my apr didn't change. Guess that would just be financing through gm, or maybe it'll help resale/trade in value down the road, I dunno. I don't fully understand it6f5d23d037371287d2bef49119c8c533.jpg