GM is correct in Letters mailed in May

GM sent Truck owners a letter in May saying they know then Vacuum Pumps are failing, and that if it fails your Truck still meets Federal Requirements for brakes.

Just got my FOIA request from NHTSA. Regulation says nope..Power Brakes are NOT a Federal Requirement:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=3e541919bea21da8cad5d4b8a7c5eb9f&mc=true&node=se49.6.571_1105&rgn=div8

But interestingly...the Federal Regulations DO say...Parking Brakes have to be mechanical. Guess GM forgot to get that regulation changed??

1999-2018 GM trucks have a mechanical parking brake.  I use my left foot and push the pedal, the parking brake engages.  Not sure what GM would need to change?  2019+up have a mechanical parking brake, only difference is its electronically actuated.  Still a mechanical operation. 

Perhaps driver's education classes need to go and teach drivers how to stop a car with no boost?  People panic thinking they lost brakes.  A hard ass pedal means you have them, just gotta push really hard.  If the pedal was to the floor with a toe touch?  Watch out, no brakes.  

Edited by newdude

5 hours ago, Paintor said:

But interestingly...the Federal Regulations DO say...Parking Brakes have to be mechanical. Guess GM forgot to get that regulation changed??

So does this apply to my mom's '09 Tiguan with an electronically actuated parking brake?