Good Buy on a small Cargo Trailer

Have been in the market for a small enclosed cargo trailer.  Mostly for hauling my bike, but also for generic light hauling around.  Was looking on my local dealer's website and found a neat little 6x12 single axle Doolittle Bullitt trailer with rear ramp and side door.  Listed for about $3500.   I went over and took a look at it today.  It actually had some minor hail damage that couldn't be noticed except up close, and only cosmetic, on the left side of the trailer.  I checked out the exterior and especially the roof and all was good.  Got them to put in dual E tracks at 2 ft and 4 ft heights on each wall of the inside.  Put in six recessed floor tie downs.   Wall mount for spare tire and a spare included.   Got $1000 off the trailer for the hail damage and $460 for all the add ons.  Total out the door for $2960.   Was worth the time to take a look.

Screenshot 2019-06-15_13-24-05-115.jpg

Screenshot 2019-06-15_13-29-41-888.jpg

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2

Nice Cliff.  Looks real similar to the Snapper trailers sold over here.  I got to borrow a friends when we were moving and to pick up furniture and it towed real nice.  It also had the taller height so you could walk inside without bending over.

20181201_104831_Film1.jpg

Yeah, not having to bend over or risk smacking your skull on a cross members is nice.  This one I got is 6' inside.  Not the best for some, but works for a 5' 8" guy like me.  I might have opted for a taller interior but it is a balance.... more height may be nicer but also is  more susceptible to cross wind and drag.   I might install a latch on the side door in the future.  Right now it is just a bar lever door mechanism.    Sealed it up tight with me inside and I did a meticulous check for any light that would evidence some area where water might get in. It was tight as a drum.  Undercoated throughout.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 5:05 PM, Cowpie said:

Yeah, not having to bend over or risk smacking your skull on a cross members is nice.  This one I got is 6' inside.  Not the best for some, but works for a 5' 8" guy like me.  I might have opted for a taller interior but it is a balance.... more height may be nicer but also is  more susceptible to cross wind and drag.   I might install a latch on the side door in the future.  Right now it is just a bar lever door mechanism.    Sealed it up tight with me inside and I did a meticulous check for any light that would evidence some area where water might get in. It was tight as a drum.  Undercoated throughout.

Your looks well made and suited for northern climes too!  I forgot to close the roof vent and while making a turn into a cross wind snapped the cover off!  Amazon delivered a new one the next day!

One pet peeve discovered while replacing that vent cover, all the screws are some proprietary head!  Not phillips or slotted!  ARGGHH!!  

Don't ya just love how folks build things!  Sarcasm intended.  You could get a roof vent cover that would allow the vent to stay open and safe from damage while driving down the road.  Will keep rain out while moving also.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Roof+Vent+Cover&furl=-pg-Enclosed_Trailer_Parts

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

Nice!  We paid $4,600 for a 8.5' x 20' dual axle enclosed trailer with 4 in floor tie downs, with a spare tire and jacks on the back to support it so you didn't have to have it hooked up to a vehicle to get in and out with heavy items.

IMG_31001.jpg

• Like 2

Nice trailer!  I've owned two 6X12 Interstate brand trailers over the past 15 years and they didn't depreciate much in value when it came time to sell.  Box trailers are very handy and I'd have one now if space permitted!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cowpie said:

Don't ya just love how folks build things!  Sarcasm intended.  You could get a roof vent cover that would allow the vent to stay open and safe from damage while driving down the road.  Will keep rain out while moving also.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Roof+Vent+Cover&furl=-pg-Enclosed_Trailer_Parts

If they flipped the opening to face the rear, that would have been better but would not flow air as well.  The cover was made to break away without damaging the mechanism, unless one replaces the plastic one that the sun will eat with aluminum, that one would hold, or make a bigger mess!