ABS no light but brake problem

2006 Sierra 1500 4.8 single cab long bed,  My ABS light works on dash, but does not light up indicating any problems with ABS. However when I come to a stop sign I apply brakes and they work properly (a bit of mushy travel) and the instant that the truck is going to come to a complete stop the brakes let loose momentarily and then finally catch and stop completely.   

I am going to bleed the brakes this weekend,  I just bought the truck a couple weeks ago, and it had this problem since I got it.  I disconnected the ABS (pulled fuse)  and the truck brakes fine.   Although as I stated the pedal is slightly mushy with a slight bit of travel .  Any ideas?

You need a scan tool that shows individual wheel speed .  You will find that one of them is dropping to 0 before the others.  This is a sign of either a bad hub bearing or tone ring for the wheel speed sensor.  Either way the fix is usually to replace the hub bearing that is dropping to 0 1st.

Edited by ryank1
  • Like 1

Thanks guys!  I have a scan tool but probably not the one I need for this.  However I plan to replace both front wheel hubs soon.  I may be ordering them today.  And a brake fluid change is in the works now too.