New to 2500 HD Trucks - looking at used one - questions

So, I've been looking to get a 2500 series truck for towing (up to 9500 pounds) - boat/trailer and a travel trailer.  I've owned a 2008 F250 in the past, as well as a Suburban 2500.

I found a 2001 2500HD, 4x4, looks like a long bed, with 8.1L engine and Allison tranny.  186k miles.  Owner says only thing it needs is a blower motor for the AC.

Assuming clear title and not too rough, is $4000 a good price, and is there anything I should really pay attention to, inspect, etc. and be aware of for future issues?

pump rub is a problem with the transfer case.  there are a variety of fixes for it, but you generally can't tell if one has been installed without tearing it apart.

check the brake lines, as they tend to rust out.  look along frame rail in the driver's front wheel well, there are 4 brake lines there, if they look particularly rusty, expect to replace all the brake lines (or expect to have a problem braking sometime).  The rear line also rusts out where it runs along the inside of the frame rail over the fuel tank, but it's hard to see.

all the oil-carrying lines leak/fail over time (transmission, oil, power steering), look them over to see if you need to replace them soon.

So, came across another one.  This one is a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab - has 89,000 miles on it.  Has the 6.0 engine.  The description:

Good truck needs a knock sensor and power steering pump it starts up run and drives cold ac 4wheel drive.( gas) Also comes with extra set on 35 rims and tires

Asking $5000

So, what would my towing capacity be with this?  Obviously not as good as the 8.1L engine.  Maybe 10,000 pounds?

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2019 at 9:19 AM, grey2112 said:

So, came across another one.  This one is a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab - has 89,000 miles on it.  Has the 6.0 engine.  The description:

Good truck needs a knock sensor and power steering pump it starts up run and drives cold ac 4wheel drive.( gas) Also comes with extra set on 35 rims and tires

Asking $5000

So, what would my towing capacity be with this?  Obviously not as good as the 8.1L engine.  Maybe 10,000 pounds?

For my year (2011) its ~9k with 3.73gears and 13k with 4.10gears. I imagine an '04 would be a little less. I'd want 4.10's for towing. You can figure out the gear ratio from the RPO sticker in the glove box. Have the seller send you a pic.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the 6.0! I've had 2. No Alison tranny I think I have the 480le or something like that.

I've had 2 and they're bulletproof dude. See my signature true story.

But this is how I've been screwed on my 01 and 03 2500hd 6.0s

(That's all I buy that 6.0 Vortec)

• AC - "Blower Motor" pretty sure is the cooling fan because you just have the compressor, accumulator, and some cutoff switches. I had to replace all on my 01

• brakes. Check brake lines for rust corrosion

• check power steering pump and water pump for leaks and noises

• check for ANY sign of electrical Gremlins

• check the frame for severe corrosion (moreso here in NY)

• check u joints and axle parts for loose or torn bushings and such

• check the tranny: any hard shifting, slipping, etc

• check transfer case by going through the 4 hi and low (roll going about

1-3mph and hit button. If it has trouble you will have trouble

• check the catalytic converter for a rainbow color indicating rich fuel and

It had been detonating in the cat

• check exhaust for bad corrosion

• check Carfax for maintenance history accident etc

• leak around Differential

I could go on but those are main ones. It's a great truck I highly recommend the 6.0

See my signature it's a true story