This transmission is on a 93 Fleetwood Bounder, earlier this year I did a transmission fluid/filter/gasket swap. The reason being, I was working on the brakes and noticed that the transmission pan is riddled with leaks of fluid all around it. On the day of the filter and fluid swap, the battery died and I couldn't run the trans. up to temp and check for the right amount of fluid.  Fast forward to last Friday, getting the RV ready for our first trip. Replaced the battery and got it running, let it run and get the transmission up to temp and check fluids, little low but but still registering on the dip stick(4.5ft of dip stick) add halve Qt. Take it out to fill up gas tank and propane to notice shifting issues, feels like it starts in 2nd and at highway cruising speeds does not shift in to OD, I have no tach but can tell motor is screaming at highway speeds. Get it back home and check fluid level again and dip stick is dry, add 2 quarts of fluid. Can not get a solid reading on dip stick due to using dipstick tube to add more fluid. Let it rest over night, check levels in the morning, over filled.... pump out fluid levels to operational "hot" marks on dip stick. Same outcome, feels like we are driving in 2nd. Trouble shooting begins, with checking the shift solenoids, found solenoid 1-2 0 ohms, replaced, solenoid 3-4 28.5 ohm left alone. refiled and drove again, slight change, can feel a shift from 3rd down to 2nd but still no OD or 1st. kinda lost now on where to go with trouble shooting. Came across a tread here about the deep/shallow pan filters, I do remember I bought both because I didn't know what I had and I do remember putting all 3 side by side and they looked all the same. so I used the closest one to me. Now I'm wondering could I have used the wrong filter and that is causing my shifting issues? I searched the forum more about deep vs. shallow filters, but it only talks about the 4L60E not to much on the 80E. Can anyone help me please?  How would I tell if I grabbed the wrong filter? I was sold both deep and shallow pan filters, but like I said, they both matched what I pulled out of tranny.

Did you replace the seal that the filter pushes up into?  Maybe it is sucking air?  The filters are pretty easy to tell apart, at least mine were on my 4L60E for my 2002 silverado.  When placed side by side there is a noticeable difference. 

How many miles are on the vehicle?  When was the last time the fluid was changed prior to this change?

You can see my filter side by side in this post

I wanna say that might have been the first time the fluid has been changed. It only has 55k miles on it. I did remove the old seal, that was the hardest part of the work. I can imagine using the shallow filter would effect fluid pick up, but I just can’t find any information about how to determine which one is needed. On the 4L60E they say to look at the pan for either a flat pan with no level changes. For the 4L80E I find full repair kits that come with two different filters. But the parts store sold me two individual filters, and like I said they all looked the same. Thanks for the responses guys

Update, got a ODB1 reader today, codes 68 and 87

68 overdrive ratio error eng. RPM above Input speed 

87 transmission shift solenoid B is stuck off. 

Trying to research this now, hoping someone can chime in. thank you guys 

i was told a deep style filter wont let shallow  pan fit , so i would install filter and measure the clearance you need, as the others said you might need to replace o-ring , so good time to check it

Edited by wreckdiver230

So after dropping the pan again today, double checking that it was for sure the B solenoid that was replaced, double checking the shallow vs. deep filter. and yes the seal was replaced, no change. I saw somewhere someone stated the ohm readings for the speed sensor, ill will check that tomorrow maybe even replace them. I did test the old solenoid with a 9v battery and it didn't engage. checked the ohm reading on the new and old solenoids that where on transmission they are still good.  now I'm just lost and wondering the interwebs for solutions. its just crazy swapping fluid/filter/gasket causing such a headache. thanks guys for your time in helping me.